Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blissfulgarden

Anyone tried sedum with bearded iris?

blissfulgarden
15 years ago

Most of the photos I've seen of the bearded iris gardens are row upon row of irises by themselves. As I am planting my beardeds by a pool deck, I would love to add some visual interest during non-blooming seasons with a companion plant that could circle the rhizomes without covering them. Ogon sedum seemed like a good possibility for this... suitable for xeriscaping and full sun (so I wouldn't have to worry about overwatering the irises to keep the top plants happy). I would appreciate some feedback on this idea. Are companion plants just a bad idea altogether or can they work? Thanks for any info! Ev =)

Comments (11)

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I grow iris in my garden beds with several plants, including sedums. Ogon seems like a good choice. I have learned not to plant large floppy plants that shade the iris out, but have used low growing sedums, short balloon flowers, blue flax, and really like hardy geraniums that kind of float through the iris stems.

• blissfulgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply. =)

Which other sedums do you use? I have balloon flowers, but they burn in the heat of our full sun here. I have them in partial sun and they're happy, but that wouldn't work where the irises will be. Geraniums are rotters here if not potted. We've got too much humidity for them to be happy in the ground; they like lots of airflow around them. Blue flax... I've never tried it, so that's definitely one to investigate.

LOL, reading my response, you would think nothing grows here at all! We can grow plenty... but zone can make such a huge difference. My sister-in-law is envious of what we can grow when she comes to visit from Ohio, and the reverse is true when we go visit her. I guess we always want what we can't have, eh?! ;-)

Ev

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I have several of the ground covers, can't think of the name of all-blue spruce, tricolor, dragon's blood. I've tried Angelina sedum because I like the bright gold color, but it keeps dying on me. I have also used the taller ones with my iris-matrona, Autumn Joy, mediovariegata, & frosty morn. I have had to cut them back if they get floppy though, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem except with Autumn Joy. I have a scabiosa that shows off well too. I've been thinking melampodium might be quite nice with the iris when they aren't in bloom, I might try that next year.

• blissfulgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ngraham, thanks for the suggestions! The spruce and tricolor sedums were two that I had looked at as possibilities, along with Ogon. I hadn't even considered the others, so I'll have to check into them. I was hoping someone else had used the groundcovers successfully. =)

• mareas
    15 years ago

Ev, I've been growing the groundcover Sedums Album, Spurium (Dragon's Blood, Tri-Color, VooDoo etc), Divergens & Angelina
    with my potted TB Iris for a few years now and they all seem to love it! Looks pretty, too!
    Marea

• brideyvt
    14 years ago

Has anyone tried Lamium? I'm thinking of trying orchid frost and keeping it cut back from the rhizomes. Any thoughts?

• Nancy
    14 years ago

It would look pretty, but I believe lamium needs shade.

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I'm in zone 5, I have Lamium 'Silver Beacon' in full sun. It THRIVES and flowers profusely from spring to frost, I pretty much neglected it last year. It took a year to establish before it took off. Clayish soil. I think it would look nice with iris.

I also like the look of iris with Cranesbill Geranium. I'm planting iris with Angelina Sedum this year.

• dirty_wench
    14 years ago

Yes, Sedum with Irises and also...though some may scoff at the idea, I like Lambs Ear with my Siberian Irises. In both cases, the sedum or the Lamb's ear pairs well and provides interest with texture.

• chary68
    14 years ago

I have catmint, daylilies, columbine, black-eyed susans and salvia...oh and peonies. I have Autumn Joy near some irises but they bloom about 4/5 weeks apart where I am.