Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allan4519

Some louisiana iris flowering

allan4519
10 years ago

Hi all, just felt like putting a few pics on the fourm.

I only have 4 Louisiana iris though to me they are very attractive when in flower also look good in a pond.

These plants are growing in a shallow pond I use for growing my insect eating plants though the water level is from the run off of the insect eating plant pond ie a little lower in height so as not to put fertilizer in the top pond.

not sure how to post more than one image so if any one could explain would be appreciated as have an image of a little frog in the yellow iris which looks great.

Comments (10)

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally found the FAQ to tell me how to add extra images;

{{gwi:1039054}}

Just two other iris close up, pity the flowers only last 2 days each;

{{gwi:1039057}}

• Nancy
    10 years ago

The last photo is gorgeous! That is just a great pic of the little frog too

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comment ngraham, that little frog is like so many living in my garden, some green, others silver, striped etc., there are also large green tree frogs living in my house downpipes (can get noisy at times??) lol.

The blue iris in next image I picked up from a friend's dam yesterday, quite pretty, have been wanting a blue Louisianian iris for a while just to make up a reasonable selection of colours.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

That is a big blue flower! I love the little frog- we don't have them here so it's a treat to see them. Your irises are very pretty, I like the red one the best.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Lovely !

Know the names?

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the comments hosenemesis & iris_gal, I like the colours also as well as the flowers though would be nice to have a large pond to see them stand out more.

Iris_gal, do not know the names of the blue, red or pink though the other two I purchased from an iris nursery over here their, names are; White - Dural White Butterfly (reasonably popular clone in this area), the other; Yellow - Koorawatha Gold (that is the name which came with the plant? ).

They do make good looking pond plants, if trimmed & kept in containers from what I have seen.

cheers allan

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just another little frog in the iris pond, not surprising as this is a drought at present for this area.

Where there is water all the frogs etc., congregate????

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Cute! Our Pacific Tree Frogs have been wiped out by climate change/some mysterious disease or fungus. We used to get them in our pond, but nothing for the last five years or so.

• svanessa
    10 years ago

I have a bunch of Pacific Tree Frogs (Baja variety) on my property in Ramona. Love to listen to them in the evening...crickets too.

Sue

• allan4519
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bit of bad luck on the Tree frogs hosenemesis, all over the world seems species are disappearing? all except the human species........... :o)

Sue the frogs are cute when little, though the large ones in my house down pipe, are almost deafening when a shower of rain happens. Is a thin line between nature & nurture at times ......................................... lol

nice chatting though will be away from my computer for a while now so cheers allan

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor