Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie - to the site and to Irises!

Posted by NGOYE none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 8:55

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the regulars here.

I have spent a while reading through some of the posts and am so glad I found this site ... I am going to need all the help I can get and from the look of things this is where I will find tons of help!

My partner and I are taking over a small Iris nursery in South Africa. His mother used to run it and had built up quite a large collection of irises over the years. unfortunatley her health has meant she cannot carry on. My partner and I have decided to try and tidy things up and get the business going again.

Neither of us have any agricultural or gardening background but are going to relish the challenge ahead! The plan is to spend the next couple of years lifting, arranging, identifying the irises that are in the field. Mostly Bearded Irises but with some Louisianas, Siberica, Neomarica, Japanese, Japonica, English Flag and indigenous Dietes dotted around the grounds!

We have some pictures and names for some but may need help from time to time with IDs.

I honestly didn't realise there was soooo many different irises out there and that there are people out there as knowledgeable as people on this site!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie - to the site and to Irises!

Hello and welcome, Ngoye!
We are indeed a helpful and collegial group, aided immeasurably by the fact that irises are tough and resilient. Even with (unintentionally) bad advice, irises usually triumph. The biggest mistake to be made is probably keeping them too wet, allowing rot and fungal diseases set in. By all means keep us posted on your progress!

Kay

o

Hi Kay,

Thanks for your reply! Great to meet you. At the moment we are trying to identify what plants we have in the field and what other stock we need to try and get in. We are relying on very old lists and one old member of staff who doesn't speak much english but hopefully has a good memory of what were planted where! We have lists where some irises are identified just by coulour and some by name but no idea of the colour!! To add to the fun we live in a different country so will not get to see the flowers bloom until we move down in a couple of years time!!

At least we are giving this a go and are looking forward to the challenge!

Cheers

Muffie

o

Hi Muffie!
Welcome to the forum and to growing irises.
I recommend you read through the facebook page of Superstition Iris Gardens run by Rick Tasco here in California. He has a log of what they do in their iris fields at different times of the year, including solarization, hybridizing, dividing, shipping, selling- you name it. Good luck in your new endeavor!
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Superstition Iris Gardens on Facebook

o

Welcome! What a delightful challenge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here