Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
depth of roots of Siberian Irises

Posted by Karlene1 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 9:18

Read that with new rhizome plantings, that the soil should just barely cover the roots and the crown of the plant stays above ground. Is this correct? Tried seaching, but just saw that most say it is pretty impossible to kill them.
Thanks.
Karlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: depth of roots of Siberian Irises

Siberian roots and bearded iris rhizomes are 2 different critters.

Yes. plant bearded's rhizomes with the tops of the rhizomes showing -- if buried they are more susceptible to rot. Drainage is vital.

Siberians, on the other hand, can take more water and indeed need it when getting established.

Does this clarify?

o
RE: depth of roots of Siberian Irises

Thanks, Iris_gal,
I am a newbie to Irises in general.I have ceasar's brother Siberian Irises and planted them spreading their roots over a little mound of soil inside of a fairily shallow hole. I will keep them watered.
Thanks again for your help!
Karlene

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here