Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris and Astillbe

Posted by hosta_house IL 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 12:54

When my church sold their property (which I took care of) it contained hundreds of Iris, Ferns, Peonies,etc.
The building and landscape was to be bulldozed over to make way for some commercial development. I spent a week loading my truck and distibuted these plants to family,friends and neighbors and crowded my beds in my own small yard,when I had bought my 100 year old home, I found it had many Bearded Iris (mostly the purple variety)among other plants and I've probably added another fifty or so Bearded Iris along a strip of Astille. Knowing that Astille need lots of water I've read that Iris don't like wet feet, we've had a very dry summer this year and they seem to be thriving but I'm wondering if this might be a problem in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris and Astillbe

Good for you in your rescue of the plants.

The excess watering may prevent future bloom. So much depends upon the soil. Fast draining? Nutrient content??

o

• Posted by laurief z3b northern MN (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 20:29

I see two potential problems with your situation. First, bearded irises are easily rotted if overwatered. They are quite drought tolerant and will stay healthier in a bed where the soil provides excellent drainage and is allowed to dry out between waterings. In fact, bearded irises generally require no supplemental water at all unless you are growing them in arid or drought conditions.

Second, aren't astilbes primarily shade or partial shade plants? Bearded irises perform best in full sun and may refuse to bloom or bloom only sparsely in insufficient sun.

Laurie

o

Not a good combination on account of their differing water requirements, but you saved them -- so letting them rest there temporarily was good. However, I would be thinking of homes to transfer them to.

I would put the ferns with the astilbes, and the irises & peonies together! But not too close. They both like lots of sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here