Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpinwv

Carpetweed attacking iris bed

BPinWV
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to Gardenweb, and I'm new to any trouble with my irises. My mother planted them many years ago, and they've never required the first minute of maintenance or worry. They have produced tall and spectacular blossums, I've seen many colors from red and blue, to yellow, and purple, and even a brown one (once).

So now I'm trouble and am seeking help.

Last summer a family member (well meaning) thinned out the irises, thinking this would be a good thing. It was not a good idea.

Two things happened, the first is the irises stopped blooming, and the second is an invasive weed has attacked the iris bed.

I believe the invader is called a Carpetweed. And it growns so dense that even grass can't survive it.

Is there any advice on how to eliminate this weed and not kill the irises. I have three humble iris beds.

The irises seem to be coming back since I've been pulling up the carpetweed. This summer when the carpetweed was at its worst, the poor irises were in really bad shape. They were probably 90% lost.

I've attached a photo. You will not be able to see any of the Carpetweed because I yank them up when I see them. But it grows so aggressively that if I don't get around to it for a few days, it is right back and thriving.

Thank you,
Bruce

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus