Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bug is it??!!

Posted by suel41452 z6b-7aVA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 13:26

I lifted some iris clumps today and found many that had the rhizome bored into. In a few of the bored-out places, there was an insect that was about 1/2" long x 1/16" wide, brown all over. It looked somewhat like a combination between an ant & a cricket. It was tending a cluster of light yellow, very tiny eggs. Anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bug is it??!!

A beetle?

o

Not like any beetle I've seen. I'm thinking maybe borers ate out a tunnel, and some bugs are just using them for a home. It resembles an ant more than anything. I'm digging up more - if I see another, I'll try to get a pic.

o

It's not an earwig, is it? They tend their eggs and young.
Renee

o

I'm familiar with earwigs, so I know it's not an earwig.

o

Here's a great site for bug ID.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: What's That Bug?

o

I have read (on other forums) of crickets which chew onto rhizomes. Not that they live inside them, but I suppose that's possible also. So they could be crickets...

o

I shouldn't have said it looked somewhat like a cricket. It didn't have large back legs at all. It's just that the head seemed "boxy" and not oval or pointy like most ants. I think the insect was using the borer hole in the rhizome like a hermit crab as a nursery! The way it was zooming around inside the rhizome, trying desperately to protect the eggs, reminded me of an ant, too.

o

hosenemesis - You were correct after all! I'd never seen a female earwig before, only males. After googling for images, I'm sure the bug was a female earwig. Thanks for the tip!!!

o

Cool. I was dismayed when I found out what good mothers they were.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here