Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Carot / carat / carrot

Posted by NGOYE none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 13:31

Please help .... I have an old list of the irises on our property and two are listed as 5 carot and 3 carot ... I have tried searching the net for pictures of these but am not having much luck. I did find something listed on a site selling irises in South Africa called Five Carrots - Orange / Orange beard. Do you think this is the same thing? My mother in law says ours are carot as in diamonds / gold not carrots as in the vegetable.

We live in a different country so will probably miss the blooms for a couple of years so I am not able to sit vigil to get photos as each plant blooms.

If anyone else has ever heared of these I would love to hear from you.

Thanks heaps

Muffie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Carot / carat / carrot

There is a standard dwarf bearded iris with a name Carats, and another SDB called Carrot Cupcake. And there is a Spuria Iris with a name Forty Carats.

o

Muffie, sometimes these are common names rather than named varieties. I had some called grape irises- they smell like grapes, and I suppose that's how grandma got the name. How is the weed clearing going?

o

Thank you for your replies. I have managed to locate an old list with names and descriptions of most of the irises that were on the farm at one point in time. Thsi si what they say for my Carat / Carot / Carrot dilema:

Five Carat - Yellow Standards, Maroon Falls
Three Carat - Dusty Pink Standards, Cream Falls

I am now waiting for the people currently living on the property to try and get photos of each and every different bloom so that we can try and play match!

As for the weeds ... it is currently bloom season so we are going to leave the field as it is for now and start lifting, clearing and replanting in the new year.

o

Good idea. Be sure to record WHEN it blooms, how many flower buds grow on each stalk and if they are double-or triple socketed, how tall they grow and whether the foliage has a reddish or purplish tinge at the base. These are all clues to identity.
Good luck!
Renee

o

Hi Renee,

Thank you for all of your help. Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by double or triple socketed?

Thanks heaps.

o

Double or triple socketed means that some of the flowers on a stalk will have two or three buds in one location (often the terminal end, sometimes other spots as well). It's considered a desirable characteristic, since it extends the bloom time for a particular stalk. It's much more common in modern varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here