Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_addict88

Iris Rhizomes...newly shipped but cant plant

flower_addict88
14 years ago

I found out today through UPS tracking that about 7 iris rhizomes that I ordered from Spring Hill awhile ago are coming today.

However, my iris bed wont be tilled, and amended until a week from tomorrow. It wont be done until the weekend of the 9th-11th!!!!

What should I do with them?

Is it true that rhizomes kept out of the ground for a week won't survive?

I have a huge order of 30 iris coming from Schreiner's that I ordered a couple days ago. However, those shouldnt come until next week.

Thanks,

Danielle

Comments (8)

• bari26
    14 years ago

they should be fine sitting around.... look at how rhizomes are sold in garden shops and literally sit for months and are fine when planted.... I don't think you have to do anything with the ones you receive until you are ready to plant them.... (I'm sure there are people here who know about this better than me.... but, I'm here and see no answer to your post yet, so thought I'd post one)

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

Not sure either, but I had some dwarf iris rhizomes that I couldn't get planted right away, they did seem to be shrinking a bit, and I was afraid of losing them, so I put a layer of just slightly damp potting soil on a tray and laid them on the tray,on top of the soil, they did just great, even started some new growth, ( it was two weeks before I got them in) Dont know if that would work, but it did for the dwarfs.
    cindy

• flower_addict88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yea....I heeled them in over the weekend. Basically, just putting them temp. in the ground until they can be moved. Like Cindy said it will give them a head start on root growth too.

You can also heel them in in a bag of topsoil temporarily. I, however, cannot do that as I have naughty cats who would tear into it and try to potty in there.

Danielle

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

I kept mine in a cool dark room for two weeks,before I planted them and they did fine.
    kay

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

Hi,

I have that same question. I ordered 15 irises and haven't been able to plant them sooner. I was hoping that I could do that this weekend. Do I need to soak them first in water?

thx.

• chere
    14 years ago

Some people soak them in a bleach solution to kill any bacteria or other nasties that might have come with them. The main thing is to keep them moist but not soaking so the roots will grow.

Chere

• flower_addict88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

invest in a $1.50 bag of topsoil at the Home Depot or Lowes. on bare ground or flat surface, pour it out in a line about 8 to 10 inches deep. I used a shovel to flatten the top, creating a "row" about 8 to 12 inches wide - voila, mini raised row! heel your new iris babies into it toe to heel tightly, and one bag can handle something like 15 irise. Put out either a misting sprinkler or soaker hoses and keep them moistened a couple hours a day.

would not consider exposing bearded irises to soaking in water for longer period than 20 mins. beardless love a good soak of 24 hours or so.

The above advice was given to me when I asked on the Dave's Garden website. I wouldnt think that soaking them in water until planting would be good as Bearded Iris dont like to be wet anyways. That is why we dont put mulch on them unless during the winter in cold zones.

I couldnt use the bag of soil idea as I have 3 naughty kittens who would think it was a new play toy. I just put them in an already established bed. I scraped away all the mulch, and put some garden fencing over the top so my kittens wouldnt get to it. That way the roots can get a head start I heeled them in there.

I suggest the Dave's Garden site. Their iris forum is excellent there are several members who own the companies we buy from. You have to pay to see most forums and enjoy the whole site. It is worth it. I just paid $5 for a month subscription to check it out. I love the site, and will be buying yr sub. Plus you get a great flower magazine and book.

Danielle

• fondo
    14 years ago

i have a question
    to conserve an iris rizome. can i dry it like a potato and still be able to grow?
    and how much time they cand survive out of the soil?

thx.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!