Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

new to irises ..some questions

cupshaped_roses
16 years ago

I have really come to like irises as garden plants. I love the flowers but I like the spiky foliage they add to the garden even more. I have some questions:

1) what irises have good fragrance? I prefer the blue to purple coulours.

2) What irises have the best foliage (even after they have flowered. I like those with grayish blue/green leaves.

3) In the spots I want to grow irises I have amended the soil with gravel and coarse sand since I have pretty rich loam/clay soil to improve drainage. How many rhizomes of each variety (iris germanica) do I plant in each. I was thinking 3-5. And how do I place these rhizomes (I know I must plant them almost in the surface, but how do I turn the rhizomes within the group? Should I let the part that has the clipped leaves point inwards towards each other or outwards? What will look best?

4) how fast do the rhizomes spread?

Comments (10)

• PollyNY
    16 years ago

I will just answer a little of your questions, since I'm quite new to bearded iris.

I think the pallidas have the most wonderful fragrance (grape koolaid), and the foliage stays nicer looking for me than the other TBs. And they are bluish purple.

• transplanted2scin07
    16 years ago

One way to get your questions answered is to go to Schreiner's Gardens website: http://schreinersgardens.com. They specialize in the tall bearded iris but have other types, too. They have fantastic photos and even a fragrant iris collection that can be purchased. (When you purchase from them you'll get an instruction booklet on how to plant and maintain).
    The tall bearded irises have the blue-green foliage you like but it is often difficult to keep the foliage looking nice after blooming has passed, due to pests and diseases. Yuccas can give you the same effect without the pests/disease, but you will not get the same color. Perhaps one of the steely blue grasses available on the market will give you the effect you want?
    Don't give up on the irises, though, the flowers and fragrance are well worth it!
    As for how fast the rhizomes spread; it depends on the variety you plant, the weather that season, the soil they're in, etc. Some need dividing within 3 years, others won't need it for a much longer period.
    Happy planting,
    Sandi

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Polly and Sandy. I did not know that irises with variegated leaves like Iris pallida existed. Thank you for the tip about Schreiners website. I know that yucca filamentosa have almost the same foliage, but the swordlike spiky leaves of irises are so beautiful. I am also beginning to know more and more ornamental grasses. There are so many wonderful possibilities when designing gardens to create different effects. I do not see many grow irises here but those I see seems to be doing well. So I will like to try out a a selection of bearded irises. Thanks for the tips ! Glad to know that they do not need dividing very often.

• shapiro
    16 years ago

Hello "cupshaped":

It is somewhat difficult to explain how to plant several iris roots within a group without drawing you pictures. But I will try... the iris root will grow out "backwards" - that is, new roots will start to grow behind the fan of leaves, after the bloom period. So when planting two or three roots together, put the underground roots at the outside of the group. Hope that this makes sense! Good luck.

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    16 years ago

it made perfect sense Shapiro! I will get about 3 rhizomes of 6 different irises to start with and plant them in groups of 3. Somehow I feel that it will make more of an impact in a mixed border than planting just a single rhizome. I know that they will spread over time but being that patient is not one my greatest virtues. Thank you for your advice.

• mike_g_
    16 years ago

"It is somewhat difficult to explain how to plant several iris roots within a group without drawing you pictures. But I will try... the iris root will grow out "backwards" - that is, new roots will start to grow behind the fan of leaves, after the bloom period. So when planting two or three roots together, put the underground roots at the outside of the group. Hope that this makes sense! "

The only problem this is completely backwards. Think of the rhizome sideways as a "foot" The heel being the fan; and the other end the toe. The new increases grow from the backside of the "heel". Some will grow from the sides of the toe and continue to grow away from the toe.

cupshaped_roses your plan is good but if you use shapiro's method you will be digging a lot sooner, like 2 years.

Mike G

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

Iris people, if you want to see some beautiful garden pictures, go to the Antique Rose forum & look at what Cupshaped roses has put up!

Cupshaped, irises treated as well as you do your gardens will grow quickly. When those clipped leaves get going next year, not only will they grow taller & wider but the plant will send out new leaves that will make a wide fan. I would not set several with their "heels' near each other because the new leaves will be all over each other if you do.

I would not plant any more than 3 rhizomes near each other because you will get a huge clump next year. Even this year. In fact, I would not do it with three! Because of the space problem in my own garden.

You will have a wonderful time with Irises. Visit Schreiners for the photos & also if you like reblooming, Nicholls Gardens has a bunch of those. I know you are going to be playing with putting irises near those roses!

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your helpful advices! And thank you ofionnachta for your kind words of praise. I sure am going to use irises more in my garden and in my clients gardens. The spiky foliage in itself is wonderful and the blooms are so beautiful too. It is so great that we have the GW forums so we can learn about all the different plants and exchange ideas and knowledge. Every year I become better at combining plants and it does take knowledge to grow and use many different plants. Have a great season!

• hwy2lands_gmail_com
    12 years ago

how do irises keep on blooming continuously thru the year or can they?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Hi Lori,
    Most tall bearded irises bloom for two to three weeks in the spring. Some are rebloomers, and in warm climates they may bloom again in early summer and/or fall. You can plant irises that have different bloom times to extend the season. For instance, I have Lady Friend, which begins blooming in March, and No Count Blues, which began blooming in June, and a few in between, so I have irises from March until July. There are only a few irises that bloom all year, and only in places like California. Grandma's Purple Flag is one.
    Renee

Sponsored