Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilalliums

Help! Newly planted Irises are sending up Flower Spikes

Hello,

I have a dilemma. Three weeks ago I planted about fifty iris rhizomes from schreiners. They were all a lovely quality, but now three weeks later about five irises are sending up flower stalks. I don't know what to do. Should I just leave them alone and hope for the best for next year or should cut the flower stalks?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Here's a picture of one of the irises

Comments (8)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Gee, you sure can grow those irises! Are any of these listed as reblooming varieties?

I would cut off the stalks if there is going to be a hard frost, but otherwise I would leave them. Sorry- I'm in Southern California, so I don't have any ideas what your conditions are like. Good luck!
    Renee

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Renee. No, none of them are reblooming (the one I showed is monet's blue) as I didn't want to intermix reblooming with nonreblooming because they require different conditions, which is why it really mystified me as why some are flowering. But we aren't expecting any frosts, so I guess I will enjoy the blooms, and hope for the best next spring.

Thanks!

April

• irisrover
    11 years ago

Many factors influence rebloom: climate, light, heritage and well grown rhizomes (which these obviously are). Notice the increase is already growing. Let them bloom and enjoy! Cutting off the bloom will do little to promote growth and increase which you can see is all in place.

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Since you are in a cold winter area I would cut the bloom as soon as color begins to show. Enjoy indoors in a vase.

But, energy is being used by the bloom stalk that could be used for other purposes. I've not read of the demise of rhizomes due to leaving the off-season bloom stalk on to open. What has been reported is the failure to bloom the following spring.

• aprilalliums (MA zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello iris gal,

Maybe I will cut the stalks. You're describing my exact dilemma. If you know of reports of off season blooms hindering bloom the following spring, I think I will cut all the stalks. So the rhizome can save what energy for next spring.

April

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Just my opinion, but I would keep the flower stalk. That rhizome will not produce another flower stalk anyway, next year's flowers will depend on the offset rhizomes & whether they are mature enough to bloom. Perhaps the mother rhizome could put more energy into their growth rather than the bloom, but I'm not convinced it would be enough to make a difference.
    I'm certainly no expert, it was only 3 or 4 years ago I learned that rhizomes only bloomed once.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

The problem with fall bloom is that frost-damage stalks lead to rot. At this point, there isn't a lot you can do about it, one way or the other.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

You got some really good soil. Do you use any mulch? I'm new and I can see your rhizomes at ground level. I'm thinking maybe I planted mine too deep again.