Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Planting for Bearded Iris

Posted by Bear_With_Me 8 Pacific NW (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 16:13

Since bearded irises don't look like much for most of the year, I've been experimenting with companion planting. I don't have a lot of conclusions yet.

I wanted plants that would stay small, and not need water in the summer. Culinary herbs seemed like a good choice.

Last winter I planted lemon balm, various types of thyme, chives, parsley. All of those grew too big. Also oregano, which grew too big.

I think I will keep the edges of the raised bed with a row of garlic chives. Those seem to stay fairly compact in this setting.

Along one edge, I planted anemones. Those stayed small, but not much of a show in the summer.

This fall I am trying a different approach. I planted starts of a low growing sedum, and some Sempervivum varieties. Also interspersed among the clumps, I added Narcissus - especially small growing types - and hyacinths.

I like having culinary herbs among the irises, but they seem to grow too big.

Wondering if others have companion plants for irises. The goal for me is plants that repel, or at least don't attract, deer and rabbits, or have a cooking role, or give pollen and nectar for bees. They should not shade the rhizomes or crowd them too much. They should be dry tolerant in the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Planting for Bearded Iris

The herbs you mentioned should be sheared back into the size and shape you like several times a year.
I use golden sage between my irises, but it gets big and has to be trimmed back or ripped out every few years.
I also use columbines for flowers, and I like garlic chives too, especially when they bloom. Yarrow is a good choice, especially the gray-leafed varieties.
For annuals I like violas- they reseed and don't cause problems for iris rhizomes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here