Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
random_harvest

Good ole Clarence

random_harvest
13 years ago

Not a very exciting iris, but a growing, blooming fool! He's so vigorous that he needed thinning out this summer, and I just tossed the extras behind a rose bush. Wouldn't you know it, that clump is about to rebloom!

Comments (11)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Very nice. I agree with your description. darn, in photos he looks great!

• aquawise
    13 years ago

That is awesome! Next time you toss some toss them my way would ya? I have one or two I traded for but would love some more. How about a Picture or two when the clump reblooms?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I got mine at Home Depot last year and it has not bloomed yet. Andi said I may have actually gotten 'Clearance.'
    Renee

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! I think I must have a few "Clearances" myself!

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, here's Clarence inside the rosebush. You can see where a thorn damaged the rear petal.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Dang, that's a photogenic iris. It looks like winter to me- blue and white.
    Renee

• bari26
    13 years ago

I am surprised to hear Clarence called not very exciting! I've always thought it was quite a beautiful iris, but have not had much luck in growing it... even though the first ones I got were given to me by Clarence Mahan himself, back in McLean, VA.... I thought I'd bought some Clarence last year from Snow's in Orleans (Cape Cod), but it turned out to be some yellow thing that I really didn't want. Snow's actually made good, giving me a full refund when I took them pictures of what I actually got. Now I've tried again, buying one from Gilbert Wild.... would have liked some you threw out!

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fair enough -- and I agree Clarence is a beautiful iris. But here's an example of a blue and white that I would call exciting -- vivid contrast, crisp form, sturdy stems that support multiple blooms, high bud count.

Home Style

• bari26
    13 years ago

Okay, I'll give you that that is quite a smashing looking iris... Home Style, is that it's name? never saw it before (but that isn't surprising, there are so many irises out there....). I guess I just have really strong feelings about Clarence, because I know the real Clarence and think he is a special guy (especially because of all the irises he gave me when I first started trying to grow them)... anyway, anytime you have some to get rid of, feel free to let me know! (kidding, sort of....)

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Certainly didn't mean any disrespect to anybody named Clarence. I always imagined that the iris was named after Shakespeare's duke who gets himself murdered in the first act of Richard III.

• bari26
    13 years ago

Actually, this Clarence is a past president of the American Iris Society.... There is also an iris of similar colors named Suky for his wife, but that one Clarence hybridized himself. but, not to worry, I wasn't thinking you were dissing the man Clarence!

Sponsored