Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old bearded iris bulbs

Posted by jessicahughey4 Nc (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:33

I found some old bearded iris bulbs in my moms attic. They have probably been up there 15 plus years. I have planted them with the roots down around a mound of soil and the tops barely covered with soil. The dried stalks are peeking up through the soil. When can I start to see growth and green in the stalks....if ever. Any tips for me to get these old irisis to grow and bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old bearded iris bulbs

I don't think they stand a chance.
But it's a fun experiment. Report back if they resurrect, ok?
I'd leave them in until spring for the experiment.

o

if it were me, I'd call or write to schriener's iris for some iris rhyzome booster food for next year, it couldn't hurt. you don't want it for now, because it wouldn't help thru the winter. by next spring you should see some new growth on your iris. as long as you have root, you have flowers. any idea why they were hidden in the attic so long? maybe your mom didn't like them but didn't want to get rid of them either. if they still don't grow by say july, then they are not going to, but it's worth a try. they have probably been waiting for some dirt to be in for years. hope they do well for you now.

o

I think if they grow, that's a reportable accomplishment! I can't think of many plants that would survive 15 years in an attic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here