Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

2 month old boxes of irises, is there hope?

gardenspuds
13 years ago

I received irises within 2 weeks of each other about 2 months ago. They went straight into our cool garage (about 60 degrees or cooler year round, it's built into a hill).

A few days after the first box arrived, I had surgery, and never had a chance to open the box. The second box arrived about a week and a half after surgery, and I wasn't mobile yet...

Well, here it is 2 months later- I opened the boxes to find out they should have been planted within a week :(

In one box, the rhizomes and attached clipped leaves are straw colored, some of the roots are dried up (there are a few with plump roots). In the other box, the leaves are still partially green, there are some plump roots, more than the first box. However, in the second box, there is some mold on the leaves.

Is there any hope for these? Should I soak them? I have more hope for those that have the green leaves, maybe I can wash them then spray with an organic fungicide.

Also, I want to get them into the ground ASAP, but we are supposed to have an 80 degree week ahead. Should I wait? Maybe put them loosely into dirt in a pot and water?

As a note, I'm in the San Francisco bay area and we have a mild, wet winter, and it generally doesn't freeze because I live near the coast.

Thanks.

Barbara, the embarrassed gardener...

Comments (5)

Sponsored