Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Raised Bed

Posted by rebel215 VA - 07 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 07 at 20:36

Hi all,
I have some irises to plant and need some help. I want to plant them in a raised bed (In an effort to try to keep out wire grass) and need to know what type of soil/amendments/etc. to use. I've done some lasagna beds before, but don't know what's appropriate for irises. (compost, peat moss, grass, leaves) the bed won't be tall, just in a frame, and the ground is very hard now due to no rain. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. The soil here is mostly red clay (and really hard right now).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Raised Bed

Compost!

Since you're ready to plant I wouldn't add much 'raw' compost.

And definately steer clear of peat.

Sprinkle some bonemeal or bulb food before you dig.

o

How high should the raised bed be to avoid the grass ?
I have 100 bricks sitting around..
Where the real bed is, I have no problem with grass.My problem is that I did not plan well and now have to move some Iris and Hyacinth...and something else ?
What is wire grass, anyway?

o

I used to grow irises in an area that had very little, and very impoverished soil. I made my raised beds by putting down a thick layer of lucerne hay (alfalfa to you?) and then covering it with a layer of about 6" of good quality soil, laced with super phosphate.
By the time the iris roots reached the lucerne it would have broken down and provided good nutrition. I found my irises did very well in those beds. The beds tend to compact down after a while, but the worm take the broken down hay into the soil layer underneath, doing the hard work for you.
You could include compost etc on top of the hay layer, and underneath the soil, but you definitely need a good depth of soil for the irises.
Cheers, Jan in Australia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here