Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misawa77

Is this 'Alaskan Seas'?

misawa77
14 years ago

I got eight large rhizomes of this from my neighbor this August for dividing the clump it was in. I have tenatively identified it as "Alaskan Seas" and would like everyone's opinion. Since I just got it, I do not have height or bloom size. The date in the picture gives its bloom date. The clump was about 3 feet x 3 feet and produced about 40 rhizomes. It was in place when I moved to PA in 2005. My neighbor moved in in 2007, so she does not know anything about it.

I can add a couple more pictures if needed, but they are about the same as this one. Thanks.

Greg

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

It sure is a beauty, but from reading the description on line, it does not seem to be it.

The German Iris 'Alaskan Seas', Iris germanica, has icy blue standards with deep sea blue falls.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaskan Seas at Schreiners

• misawa77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

chemocurl,

Sue, Thanks VERY much for all of your help with the picture uploading thingy.

Any suggestions then?

I thought it to be Alaskan Seas based on the picture at "Stoney Creek"

Here is a link that might be useful: Stoney Creek

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

You are so welcome.

Anywho...in comparing the 2 pics, it looks like yours has a white or light edge around the falls, doesn't it? The one at Stoney Creek doesn't show any light edges, nor does the one at Schreiner's.

Sue

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Here's a few more pics of Alaskan Seas.
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/33941/

Sierra Grande lightens at the edges. Link below. It is a Schreiners intro 1992 and won an Award of Merit 1998. Your picture reminds me of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Grande at davesgarden

• chere
    14 years ago

It is really hard to tell. To bad there isn't a genetic lab that we can send a piece of our noids to for a small fee and have them tell us for sure. They could have a data base of named iris to compare it to. This should work since all of the off spring come from the same plant right.

Chere

• flower_addict88
    14 years ago

I suggest posting over at Dave's Garden on the Iris forum. They have an excellent group of iris maniancs over there. Including some members who own the companies we buy from. They just helped me with an id in no time flat.

Also, Daves Garden has a section called plant files that you could search through all the pics of. My guess is it is a Tall Bearded Iris than just find the variety.

Danielle

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville