Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this 'Alaskan Seas'?

Posted by misawa77 zone 6-7 MD/PA borde (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 21:01

I got eight large rhizomes of this from my neighbor this August for dividing the clump it was in. I have tenatively identified it as "Alaskan Seas" and would like everyone's opinion. Since I just got it, I do not have height or bloom size. The date in the picture gives its bloom date. The clump was about 3 feet x 3 feet and produced about 40 rhizomes. It was in place when I moved to PA in 2005. My neighbor moved in in 2007, so she does not know anything about it.

Alaskan Seas?

I can add a couple more pictures if needed, but they are about the same as this one. Thanks.

Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this 'Alaskan Seas'?

It sure is a beauty, but from reading the description on line, it does not seem to be it.

The German Iris 'Alaskan Seas', Iris germanica, has icy blue standards with deep sea blue falls.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaskan Seas at Schreiners

o

• Posted by misawa77 zone 6-7 MD/PA borde (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 21:54

chemocurl,

Sue, Thanks VERY much for all of your help with the picture uploading thingy.

Any suggestions then?

I thought it to be Alaskan Seas based on the picture at "Stoney Creek"

Here is a link that might be useful: Stoney Creek

o

You are so welcome.

Anywho...in comparing the 2 pics, it looks like yours has a white or light edge around the falls, doesn't it? The one at Stoney Creek doesn't show any light edges, nor does the one at Schreiner's.

Sue

o

Here's a few more pics of Alaskan Seas.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/33941/

Sierra Grande lightens at the edges. Link below. It is a Schreiners intro 1992 and won an Award of Merit 1998. Your picture reminds me of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Grande at davesgarden

o

It is really hard to tell. To bad there isn't a genetic lab that we can send a piece of our noids to for a small fee and have them tell us for sure. They could have a data base of named iris to compare it to. This should work since all of the off spring come from the same plant right.

Chere

o

I suggest posting over at Dave's Garden on the Iris forum. They have an excellent group of iris maniancs over there. Including some members who own the companies we buy from. They just helped me with an id in no time flat.

Also, Daves Garden has a section called plant files that you could search through all the pics of. My guess is it is a Tall Bearded Iris than just find the variety.

Danielle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here