Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquawise

Reblooming

aquawise
13 years ago

I have Iris blooming!! I dug and moved ALL of my Iris this year, starting in July. I found 6 with new buds on them. WOW! As soon as they open I will add the pics to my gallery. I am amazed!! I have never had ANY Iris re~bloom for me. I am just thrilled. YES!

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Hooray! Hooray for you and for reblooming irises!
    I can't wait to see the photos.
    Renee

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

WOW indeed!

• aquawise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG! I am afraid it is going to freeze the buds before they can open. Been getting below 30* at night. So sad, First year ever for re-bloomers and frozen before there time. Dang! Dang! and Double Dang!

• bari26
    13 years ago

Freezing! That is why I hate reblooming irises! They are so depressing! Every time I get any indication of rebloom, it is too late and the buds are nipped in the bud, and I get depressed! Mostly I try to not even buy rebloomers, just because I can't deal with it.... I have three out there now, trying to bloom ... one of them actually got the first bud open, and if we can get through this week, maybe the other two will get the first bud open.... You just have to live in places like Oregon to get good rebloom.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

So sad. Can you cut them and bring them indoors? That's what I have to do with roses in our heat.
    Renee

• aquawise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can try to cut them! HUMmmmm might work. I did not buy them I just traded for some and some I had are supposed to re-bloom. We had a long warm fall, I think that is why they decided to bloom. O well I was so excited. Keep my fingers crossed. Supposed to be good weather for a week or so.

• bari26
    13 years ago

There are probably people out there who know how to cut an iris bud and get it to bloom, but when I've tried that with rebloomers, they always just die, so I've assumed they have to reach a certain critical point before they'll bloom after they've been cut....

• bari26
    13 years ago

Well, it happened! Las nite there was a freeze on the Cape and my poor rebloomers got zapped! I didn't realize that it was going to get below freezing here... thought it would stay in the 36 or so degree range.... bummers....

• aquawise
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I don;t feel so bad!! Mine got it a few nights ago. Well it was fun to think I might get at least one.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

And here in Southern California it was 100 degrees today. Currently ninety seven degrees. My rebloomers got cooked.

Bari- I think you are right. You have to get them just before they are going to open anyway. I have gotten a few to open when they are not ready, but the blooms were small and pathetic.

Renee

Sponsored