Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reblooming

Posted by aquawise zone 4 Utah (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 21:14

I have Iris blooming!! I dug and moved ALL of my Iris this year, starting in July. I found 6 with new buds on them. WOW! As soon as they open I will add the pics to my gallery. I am amazed!! I have never had ANY Iris re~bloom for me. I am just thrilled. YES!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reblooming

Hooray! Hooray for you and for reblooming irises!
I can't wait to see the photos.
Renee

o

WOW indeed!

o

OMG! I am afraid it is going to freeze the buds before they can open. Been getting below 30* at night. So sad, First year ever for re-bloomers and frozen before there time. Dang! Dang! and Double Dang!

o

• Posted by bari26 6 (Cape Cod) (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 1, 10 at 9:58

Freezing! That is why I hate reblooming irises! They are so depressing! Every time I get any indication of rebloom, it is too late and the buds are nipped in the bud, and I get depressed! Mostly I try to not even buy rebloomers, just because I can't deal with it.... I have three out there now, trying to bloom ... one of them actually got the first bud open, and if we can get through this week, maybe the other two will get the first bud open.... You just have to live in places like Oregon to get good rebloom.

o

So sad. Can you cut them and bring them indoors? That's what I have to do with roses in our heat.
Renee

o

I can try to cut them! HUMmmmm might work. I did not buy them I just traded for some and some I had are supposed to re-bloom. We had a long warm fall, I think that is why they decided to bloom. O well I was so excited. Keep my fingers crossed. Supposed to be good weather for a week or so.

o

Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 10:59

There are probably people out there who know how to cut an iris bud and get it to bloom, but when I've tried that with rebloomers, they always just die, so I've assumed they have to reach a certain critical point before they'll bloom after they've been cut....

o

Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 11:11

Well, it happened! Las nite there was a freeze on the Cape and my poor rebloomers got zapped! I didn't realize that it was going to get below freezing here... thought it would stay in the 36 or so degree range.... bummers....

o

Now I don;t feel so bad!! Mine got it a few nights ago. Well it was fun to think I might get at least one.

o

And here in Southern California it was 100 degrees today. Currently ninety seven degrees. My rebloomers got cooked.

Bari- I think you are right. You have to get them just before they are going to open anyway. I have gotten a few to open when they are not ready, but the blooms were small and pathetic.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here