Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chere_gw

Stupid Deer

chere
14 years ago

I thought deer didn't eat iris but I was wrong. They are so disparate right now, that they ate one of my iris' buds that was going to bloom. I feel like shooting them. Venison anyone? I hope they leave the other bud alone. I haven't seen this iris bloom before. It is a noid I received in a trade last year, so I really would like to see it. I also have to check every morning to make sure they haven't pulled one I just planted out of the ground. This is one reason I staple the name right onto the iris.

Chere

Comments (10)

• bookwizards

I ran the disc over an area and planted oats and peas they walk across the iris beds to get to the oats.

Very inexpensive and an area that was not being used anyway.

Bill

• bookwizards

I ran the disc over an area and planted oats and peas they walk across the iris beds to get to the oats.

Bill

• bookwizards

Bill

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I don't envy you. Pocket gophers also eat rhizomes and them I do have.

A friend had trouble with deer and roses. She bought nylon mesh (after the usual bars of soap, various urines, etc.) and draped it over the roses --- it was the only thing that worked and was fairly invisable. If a bud poked thru the deer got that one. To lift and raise the mesh was difficult with thorns catching it. Would be easier with iris.

• kittyl
    14 years ago

Deer tend to leave irises alone for more tasty foliage. I don't have deer, but my daughter had deer walk by on the sidewalk frequently... and never had much problems with them bothering the irises.

I have this philosophy with planting... I grow twice as much as I might need... then there is enough for the gophers and other pests and I still have enough for me.

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Aah, if only the rabbits here would share! If I don't do something about them, they eat the best parts of everything!
    I don't know how Deer Out works on deer, but its sibling product, Rabbit Out does a pretty good job on rabbits.

• ofionnachta
    14 years ago

Deer were eating my daylily flower buds last year and we used human urine (DH's) -- he saves it in a milk jug and we let it mature for a few days. It says "My Territory I am a predator" to deer (and everyone else).

When applied -- just a little sprinkled on the plant goes a long way -- it is stinky near there for a day or two, but it has worked for us so far!

You only have to get them out of the habit of dining at your place---and to move onto somewhere else. They are very much creatures of habit and will repeatedly go to eat where there is food and they aren't repelled by smells, angry dogs, etc.

• susie53_gw
    14 years ago

Try this.. Animal Repellant 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic powder,1 quart water and 1/4 teaspoon liquid detergent. Mix well. Spray on all garden plants. The smell will repel animals.. My friend swears by it....

Susie

• the_pumpkin_queen
    14 years ago

Susie, I am sure the taste repells them too LoL

• north40
    14 years ago

We scramble up an egg and mix it with water. Leave set for a day then spray with a spray bottle on the plants. They don't like the smell or the taste.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH