Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marvine_gw

New Seedling

marvine
15 years ago

Seedling blooming today for first time. It was 27 degrees yesterday so I had dug the entire plant up the day before and brought it in the house - it opened today (Nov.20). It's a nice bloom with some silver sheen (maybe you can see that on picture 2).

Comments (11)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

How pretty and what a pleasant surprise for this time of year.

Who is its Mommy and Daddy, if you don't mind saying?

Sue

• marvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cross is Barbara My Love x Prince Charming.

15 years ago

How very interesting.

Barbara My Love
    Prince Charming

Have you done much breeding? Have anything registered?
    How long usually from seed until bloom?
    When do you plant your seeds?

Can you tell I am all aflitter at the thought of maybe trying some crossing next season?

Are there maybe past posts that covers any of this?

Sue

• anjap
    15 years ago

That is a beautiful flower and I love the silver sheen. Will you use it for further hybridizing?
    Anja

• marvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue, this hybridizing is exciting, and addicting! I just started doing so 4 years ago and have not registered any yet. I won't do so until I have evaluated one at least 3 years. I have about a dozen plants from this "Barbara My Love x Prince Charming" cross and only one other has bloomed, did so in the Spring. Here is it's picture, it's quite different. It's the second year since they sprouted, so the rest should bloom next Spring. I doubted that I could get yellows from that cross so I asked Walter Moores who has over 30 years experience hybridizing. He said most anything is possible because of "recessive" genes.

15 years ago

Thanks for the explanation and the email.

I'm really excited at the thought of doing some crosses next season, after studying up on it a good bit this winter.

Sue

• gypsysparrow
    15 years ago

I like both the blooms, congrats!

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Very nice. I really like the beige one. The color is very soothing on the eye, especially with the reticulated hafts.

I just started making crosses this past spring, have ~600 seed in the fridge after soaking process. I am planning to start planting them indoors with my daylily seedlings in Jan. Hope that gives them enough head start to see mostly 2nd yr bloom.

Conditions are about perfect here in CO for them to grow fast. I had some tiny little starts of historics that were the size of 1yr seedlings when I put in the ground in late May and they are full size with multiple fans now. Gives me hope that its possible to see quick bloom on seedlings here.

If anyone is brand new to this and would like a tutorial, I created a .pdf "how to" document on hybridizing iris this spring as I found it pretty hard to get the information I needed to get started all in one place. It's a large file (3Mb) that I hope to eventually post on a website that I'm building this winter. I'll e:mail it if you send me a private request.

15 years ago

If anyone is brand new to this and would like a tutorial, I created a .pdf "how to" document on hybridizing iris

I received the document from berrytea and think it will be a great help to me next season. I am in the first stage of just 'wanting' to start hybridizing, so I knew nothing. I collected seeds for the first time in 2008, but they are just whatever Mother Nature chose to pollinate. Whatever I get once the seeds are grown out, will be anyone's guess, since only the pod parent is known.

Thanks BerryTea! I'm sure your 'How To' will help me a lot.

Sue

• gmason
    15 years ago

Pretty seedlings.

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Sue,
    Glad you found it helpful.

I am trying to get it posted on one of those free file sharing sites. Having account activation issues with it but hopefully will get that resolved and post a link to it here.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio