Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris for zone 8b

Posted by lathgirl 8B FL (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 9:51

I am looking for Iris that will take the North Florida heat. I have seen several pictures online however I have been unable to find them locally.

If you are thinning out your iris beds I would be sincerely greatful for your excess.
Thank you,
Lathgirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris for zone 8b

Hi Lathgirl

I know now (or even late Nov) is not the time to dig or plant irises in a large part of the country, but cannot speak for those areas in the far south.

You probably won't be able to find locally the beauties that you see on line, unless you have a big local grower in your area.

There are many on line sellers, that charge as little as $2, $3,or $4 per beautiful named variety. That is as good or better than many of the big box store prices, and frequently big boxes are labeled incorrectly. The same thing can and does happen by buying on line, but I think a lot less so, and some sellers will correct their mistakes.

Scroll down the page on the link provided to find a list of sellers, many of which are in the South.

Snowpeak Iris and Daylilies has many varieties for $3.
Iris Greens (not listed there at the link below)has many for as low as $2.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: American Iris Society (AIS) Commercila Directory listing

o
RE: Iris for zone 8b

Lathgirl- The only types of irises that are going to thrive for you there are those in the Louisiana Iris family. They are native to the Gulf Coast and some species are found further south in Florida as well. Locally, look for them at places that sell pond plants, as they are water lovers. Also look for iris growers who specialize in LA Irises online for the best selection of varieties. The Society for Louisiana Iris can probably help.

Good luck!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Society for Louisiana Iris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here