Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cypella sp. I think

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 13:39

I'm not really much of an Iris grower and got this labeled as "pretty yellow flower from Brazil" 3 years ago. Well, it just bloomed today and it is a pretty little thing. It looks like a Cypella based on a little searching. I've grown it as an evergreen based on no other knowledge of the plant and it seems perfectly happy that way.....under a 400W MH bulb for the winter in my basement. Hope you all like it :o) Dan
Cypella sp.

Cypella sp.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cypella sp. I think

Very nice! I've only seen the dk lavender one here. I'm thinking of getting a piece of it. Nice foliage statement for the garden.

o

It would be nice to be able to put these in the ground, but not in my climate I am afraid!!

It's always nice to see something bloom for the first time when you have no idea what it is you are growing :o) Dan

o

Beautiful photos Dan. Thank-you for sharing them. Cypellas are new to me and I had to look them up. For anyone else that's new to them, I found quite a few species I would love to grow on this page http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Cypella .

Before today I would have assumed it was a neomarica. Thank-you for adding yet another plant to the equation of an obsession. :)

Brock

o

Hi Brock, I did some more looking around and it appears to be a dead ringer for Trimezia martinicensis so maybe a different genus, although the PBS indicates these are awfully tough to tell apart so who knows!! It is the only plant like this I own and was sent to me as a gift a few years back so I am just guessing.....let me know what you think :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here