Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyrose65

My official first planting of iris

ladyrose65
11 years ago

I watched a youtube video that basically said to place in well-drained soil with a mound. They are bearded iris's, I got from HD: "Cherub's Smile, Rock Star, Galore, and Firebreather. I added rock phosphate and bonemeal. I watered and they seemed to drain okay, but we do get lots of snow.

I'm thinking okay. Could I have done something better?

Comments (14)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

We usually plant irises at least six weeks before the first frost. Here's a link to a tip from the American Iris Society on how to keep irises from heaving in cold areas that might help.

It is unlikely that the irises you bought at Home Depot will turn out to be the irises on the labels. The big box stores are notorious for selling random irises and labeling them wrong. Sometimes the irises are very pretty anyway, so not all is lost. I have purchased irises from them that were not even the same color as the one on the label!

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: The Brick Method

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Renee. I am very new to iris's, I never realized how beautiful they can be. This might be another addictive habbit. Can you all tell me where you usually order your rhizomes from? What online companies do you all use?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It's called "the iris virus"! They come in so many beautiful and exotic colors and shapes that it's hard to stop buying them. They are also so cheap, especially compared to exotic daylilies or many bulbs.

I buy from many iris growers, including Superstition, Schreiners, Wild Iris Rows, His Iris Garden, Iris 4 U, Napa Country Iris, MidAmerica, Bonnie's Iris, and many more. I like to browse the catalogs and find six or seven I like then order them all at once to save on shipping. Pricing differs a bit, but it is usually the case that the more expensive places send bigger rhizomes. You can also order from an iris grower in your zone to be assured that the irises you get will thrive where you live. Have fun shopping- ordering usually starts in January, and the irises ship out in summer.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: AIS commercial listings

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went out today to look at them, two of them are turning green! They looked so dead in the package. I put some hay over them to protect from severe frost.

This is a picture of my first iris, in which I had no clue how to grow. I actually put in the ground and left if for dead, because the others turned to mush. Can you tell me what is the name of this iris?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It's a beauty! If you bought it at a big box store, it may not be a "named" variety, but that doesn't make it any less gorgeous. I love the orange beards.
    Renee

• mccommas
    11 years ago

Have you noted that the white part on the top isn't really true white? It has a blue hue. Very nice.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I supposed to be doing my homework, I'm reading about Iris's, definately going to get a book for christmas. Taking any suggestions.

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Ladyrose

Have you looked at pictures of:

Connection
    Costa Rica
    Favorite Beau

I'm working on editing my photos ~ only up to the H's.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll check it out.

• PollyNY
    11 years ago

ladyrose65, are you looking for a suggestion for a book? If so I strongly suggest Irises by Claire Austin. Many gorgeous pics, and great advice.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You Polly will look it up.

• john3
    11 years ago

By the way, 'Rock Star' is a rebloomer. Wondering if the packaging states so. Have noticed that the packaging at WalMart this year doesn't indicate that 'RS' and 'Speeding Again' are rebloomers. Glad to see someone else purchased 'Cherub's Smile'. Much luck with them all.

• ladyrose65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How do I protect them from the Iris Bohrer? We live on wooded property and we get a lot of insects, cats and worms.

• mccommas
    11 years ago

You don't really need to worry about insects or cats. You just got to find a good spot. If they repeatedly turn to mush, it�s a bad spot. I have had zero problems with insects, pets and Iris. I wish I could say the same of my lilies. Darn those lily leaf eater beetles to Hell!

Iris like sun sun and more sun. They can�t get enough sun. They are easy to grow. Cut away the dead leaves as when they start to rot they can bring about the mush. Also check Home Depot again. The one here has them at half price. I am going back for more tomorrow. You can never have enough!

I would go easy on the bone meal. Mix it in good. One year I had some of that crap on the top of the soil and it just seemed to get moldy and gross. I don�t even use it anymore.

I use Miracle Grow Bloom Booster ( which is different from the regular Miracle Grow plant food) a couple times a year. Also that fertilizer that comes in balls seems to be pretty good for slow release. It is expensive though.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz