Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rabbit proof plants, bulbs anyone...?

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 15:50

My niece lives in the high desert country (6300 ft. elevation) where water is at a premium but would like plants she could have that the rabbits would leave alone (rarely has a deer come into the yard). Are there lists I could go to to find these rabbit resistant outdoor plants to have? She has to cover the tomato plant in a barrel with chicken wire & still the rabbits try & knock the wire cage off & eat the tomatoes, plant & all! I'd like to give her some of my spring bulbs (tulips, iris, daffodils) to try but not sure if they are rabbit/pocket gopher proof or not?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rabbit proof plants, bulbs anyone...?

We have both rabbits and deer. Sometimes it's hard to say who ate what. Currently they are surprising me by eating the tops from winter onions. They are not supposed to do that but each animal can have individual tastes. Or it could be the voles.

I have to cage most of my vegetables and many of my fruits. They especially love eating plum trees and apple trees. That's the deer. Rabbits eat the stems from my young fig trees.

In my yard, they don't touch bearded irises, daffodils, anemones, helleborus, or hyancinthoides - bluebell bulbs. I think the rabbits are what ate the grape hyacinths. They eat tulips down to the ground. They usually leave alliums alone but something ate some buds from a few alliums last year. Those were the gigantic type alliums. They left the smaller ornamental alliums alone.

Chives and garlic chives have very nice flowers and I plant those too. Along the edges of some raised beds, I have a row of garlic chives and anemones to deter rabbits. I don't know if they help or just make me feel better.

Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: rabbit resistant plants

o
RE: rabbit proof plants, bulbs anyone...?

Thanks!! I will send her this list of plants that those pesky rabbits WILL eat so she can avoid them! They also have field mice that like to chew/eat the insulation off the vehicle wiring underneath... some makes of vehicles more than others ... depends on what the insulation is made of I guess?!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here