Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do Iris blooms last in arrangements?

Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 16:50

I was just getting into Iris Gardening when I had to move from N.M.. to No. Calif. so I don't know much about them. I do supply retirement and medical recovery facilities with fresh flowers when I can & they are so appreciative. I would like to start another Iris garden but need a site that will give me info. about life span in arrangements, which iris might have a longer "cut" life, etc. This is a picture of the one I inherited when I bought my home in Calif. Any idea what it is and information would be so appreciated! TIA Calpat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do Iris blooms last in arrangements?

That is a Tall Bearded iris. What its' name is I do not know. The most common iris in arrangements are Dutch Iris. Florists don't really like Tall bearded iris for two reasons. 1. They don't last very long individually. 2. They tend to bleed color, sometimes staining valuable table cloths etc. We always have Tall Bearded Iris on our table during bloom season because we enjoy the bloom and fragrance. We just address the stain issue by not putting them where they might stain something.

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 21:40

Thank you GMason, I'll check out the Dutch Iris as an alternative and also for i.d.ing my Iris as Tall Bearded. I had no idea. Pat

o

Dear GMason,
I need to ask you another question....I was so disappointed to learn that I can't grow Dutch Iris (well, at least I've read that it is only hardy to zone 6)....but, it looks so much like the Spuria iris I just planted. I read somewhere that florists sell Spuria as their #1 iris.....are they very similar? I planted 4 different spurias from AllThingsIris, hoping for many blooms for the vase. I was also given 3 different Siberians. Thanks. Phyl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here