Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
widgetsmom

Moving iris

Beth1234
9 years ago

I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have to move and want to take them with me since where I live is going to be developed. I'm new to this and don't want to kill them when I have to move. I had someone suggest I put them in pots since I'm not really sure where I will be planting them where I'm moving to. I started working on that today and quickly realized that I will end up having way to many pots of them. Most of the one's I started with today are very small, so I know that they are new. I have been getting rid of the old and withered pieces. I've only dug up a very small section and have filled up 3 large pots. I know I'm rambling, so I guess my question is can I store them somehow so that I can plant them in the spring?

Comments (11)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

There's no guarantee but some people have forgotten rhizomes over the winter and had them sprout when spring planted. Use paper bags in a cool place. You may not have bloom for 2-3 years.

Are these the same or different colors? If there is an enlarged clump, attached to one another, so I know they are all the same, I'd squelch my inclinations and only pot 2, paper bagging the remainder of that clump.

You can always put "free iris for the digging" on Craig's List for those you don't want. Big job. Good luck.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

Large healthy rhizomes should be fine for a few months, rot will be your main concern. As iris gal said, store in a cool place. If you bag them don't put too many to a bag. I would actually try to spread them out rather than put them in a bag, if you have a large bag the ones in the middle might rot.

• Beth1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Iris_gal it is turning out to be a huge job. I have at least 10 different colors, maybe more. That is a great idea to pot some and store the rest.I gotten several huge clumps with brand new sprouts that are different sizes. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I can't save them all as hard as that is for me. I want to honor the person who I inherited them from but have to be realistic. The hardest thing has been trying to figure out what bloomed last year and what didn't. Thanks for the suggestions.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

Even if you don't keep them all, it won't take long for them to multiply again and you will have lots more. I planted tiny pieces of iris in a spot last fall and they are crowded already. I don't know where you are in zone 7 but I'm in 7b in upstate SC. Iris grow like weeds here.

• Beth1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Southerngardening24 I'm in NC Charlotte/Matthews. Where are you? I transplanted some about 5 yrs ago and they have spread and bloomed like crazy. I love it.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

I live near Seneca SC. Charlotte is about a 2 hour drive from here. :-)

• Beth1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still working on moving my Iris. My question is why do mine look so small compared to hers. (I attached a picture of hers, will also attach a picture of mine) Hers came from some I had to transplant several years ago.

• Beth1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what my bed looks like.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Hers have older leaves and looks like it's a nice clumper.

Yours have healthy young growth on the new rhizomes.

'Beverly Sills' is being a nice clumper here in heavy soil. but several others like to travel. A lot!

• northwoodswis4
    9 years ago

Check a couple rhizomes for signs of iris borers having chewed on them. Northwoodswis

• Beth1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Northwoodswis4 I am new to this, so I goggled iris borers and I do see some evidence in some that I have dug up and discarded. I haven't kept any that have evidence of them. I do have quite a few more to move, but will keep a eye out for that. Thanks

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz