Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsplus_qld

louisiana Iris in native habitat

plantsplus_qld
13 years ago

I want to grow Louisiana Iris in a constructed bog made by burying tubs into the ground. The main aim is to save on water wastage and grow them near plants that do not need so much water. My questions are: Do the areas they inhabit in the wild dry out or partially dry out at some time of the year and if so in what season and for how long and do they go totally dry or only partially so. I would appreciate any info about their requirements and conditions in natural habitat. Thanks R.

Comments (6)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have done this and it smells really bad. I'm still trying to figure out how to solve the problem.
    Renee

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

My limited experience is that some do better than others in areas that dry out;
    the old purple ones that I got at a swap thrived & bloomed in a plastic wading pool filled with soil, not even wet soil, but the bright yellow ones had to stand in water.

My "created bog" was half a whiskey barrel, & it did smell;
    I eventually gave away the iris & drained the barrel to keep from having to clean it twice a year.

They're wonderful plants with beautiful flowers, & I'd do it again just to experience them...
    but I'd dig a pond into a low spot in the landscape.

Best luck, & enjoy!

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

[b]plantsplus_qld[/b]
    Yes, for example I. fulva in partial dry conditions.
    In the winter months all these irises need so dry.
    [URL=http://www.radikal.ru][IMG]http://i049.radikal.ru/1011/3b/4c0dcccfe359.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• plantsplus_qld
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your replies, I was going to use a wading pool set into the ground and fill it with soil but keep it wet. Our winters here are normally dry with most rain in summer so I might try to do this and just rely on natural rainfall to fill the bog. Evaporation should provide a fluctuation in water level similar to natural conditions. At present they are in pots in water filled tubs and are doing well but these have to be emptied regularly to get rid of mosquito larvae. Im hoping the bog method with lower water level will eliminate this problem. I will drill some holes below soil level to keep water below the surface. R.

• andinsky
    13 years ago

I plant my Louisiana irises straight into the ground, and they love it. They grow strong and every year have to get rid of some because they grow so much. I don't think you need a bog to grow them as long as they get enough moisture. I plant mine where a sprinkler head waters them. That's all. Do not plant them too close together as they, 'walk.'

~ Andi

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Lover

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

andinsky,

I am dying to grow some LI and have tried with no luck. Can I ask what state you are in and what type of exposure you have for them? Full sun, partial? Moist soil, dry, well drained? I received the most wonderful gift of several varieties from my husband for a birthday gift several years ago. They survived, but DID NOT thrive, for a couple of years and gradually disappeared altogether. The mystery to me is that I have no problems with TB or flag iris. The loss of this most perfect and perceptive birthday gift just killed me. I am itching to grow these. Got any input? I would love advice.

Rene

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting