Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late to plant??

Posted by AgAnnie z4-5 IA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 22:49

I just got my last shipment of bulbs today. I was sent 3 iris rhizomes as a gift - it is too late to plant? It was 3 degrees lastnight. They are forecasting 40's by the weekend. What should I do? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late to plant??

• Posted by LaurieF z3b northern MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 17, 05 at 23:06

Pot them up and keep them in sunny windows in your house for the winter. If you plant them outside now, there's a very strong probability they won't survive till spring.

Laurie

o

Follow Laurie's advice.

Walter Moores

o

I didn't see a "type' of iris specified, and I'd think some types wouldn't root quicly enough to take much cold , but others are so tough such as the bearded ones they might survive the winter just lying on top of the ground through the winter, though it is recommended that even bearded irises get some winter mulch their first winter after a late summer or fall planting , if you're in a colder zone.
I would think you wouldn't get severe freezes however where you live and most types would survive outdoors, though they'd remain dormant all winter and not form new roots where they're planted til spring arrives.

o

• Posted by Suenh cold end of 4! (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 21, 05 at 17:06

Pot them up and put them in a cool room, sunny window. Water sparingly. I say cool room only because you want them to grow roots but not go too nuts growing. If you don't have a cold room the sun is more important. Just might skip a bloom year until they adjust.
Wouldn't plant outside now and I live in a place with reliable snow cover. Iowa is just as cold but doesn't get that 4 foot blanket to protect from temp swings.

o

I wish sometimes my eyes were better, and I did make a serious boo-boo on my previous post. I mistook IA for LA and of course it is too late in Iowa to be planting irises of any kind, and it would be better to store them in a cool place til spring.

o

Thanks for all your advice. I potted them up and put them in a window. I am not sure why they sent them this fall and didn't wait until spring, but I love iris, so I'm not going to complain too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here