Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Mom's Violet Turner and Alice Goodman (pics)

hosenemesis
13 years ago

Reblooming today in her Southern California garden:

Comments (16)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh yeah- Irisgal, that's Perdita in the fourth pic, Julia Child and White Licorice in the last.
    Renee

• aquawise
    13 years ago

You are the "Luckiest Ones" To get re-bloomers like that!! WOW!!! Mine got Zapped by old Jack Frost. AMAZING! thanks for sharing!!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

OMG. I re-swwoned at Alice Goodman. If you had done a close-up of Perdita I wouldn't have been able to type this.

Violet is one of those TBs that looks even more super with 3 open at once.

Julia Childs is a seemingly perfect yellow rose. I'm going to have to give serious thought to her. Does her color looks as great in person with Alice as it does in your photo?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes. Buttery yellow and warm pink. Mom has Tamora on the other side: pale peachy apricot, and Egyptian Queen daylily, apricot and plum. Yum.

Violet Turner had five perfectly spaced blooms the day before. I got it for mom last year, and it bloomed in the fall, but it got too much shade this spring and failed to bloom- she moved it and BAM!

Alice has bloomed prolifically since Spring, with only a short break in July and August.

Renee

• Nancy
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous! Love the color on Violet Turner, & Alice is such a pretty pink.
    Only EArl of Essex has bloomed for me here, many buds are out now though. I see some buds on Harvest Of Memories & jean Guymer. I'm so surprised that the frosts last week did not take them out. It got down to 28 degrees, & these aren't at all protected. I knew they could take some frost, but it got really brrr cold. I'm hoping to get a few more blooms.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Thanks. Buttery yellow I like. Our nursery had one in bloom and maybe it was that week's temps. Ordinary yellow.

These pics are even better the 2nd time around!

• cjcanet
    13 years ago

Here's an arrangement I made today from "Highlighter" and "Violet Turner". Pictures don't do them justic :)

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I almost missed this! cjcanet, it deserves its own thread. The ruffles on Highlighter are PERFECT.
    You have a real talent for arranging flowers.
    Renee

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I am so jealous.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Wow, all the pics are gorgeous. How did you make that arrangement? I don't see how they stay in water. I'm assuming theres a water reservoir in that stone. Would love to see a pic of it without the flowers to see it better. Its really neat!! Thanks, Judy

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

This arrangement surpasses so many 1st prize winners. Gorgeous!

Love the base. Where did you find it? TIA

• cjcanet
    13 years ago

Hi Judy,TIA. I will take a picture of it when it's done blooming, it's on it's way out now. In the center there is a hole cut in the rock, about the size of a door knob hole. Then there is a cup glued to the bottom and in the cup there is this neat thing ( I know it has a technical name in the florist industry but I can't remember, but I know it's not called a frog, maybe someone else can fill that in) anyway it has a bunch of needles sticking up that you push the flowers on to hold them, then just add water to the cup. :) I was at a fall trek last year and Jane Troutman did a little floral arranging and had something similar. I found this one, in of all places, Yosemite while we were on vacation.
    Cathy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Thanks Cathy. I am def gonna have to look for one of those. Its so cool and your arrangement is simply gorgeous. Judy

• RIRISH
    11 years ago

I know this is an old post but have to add to it.
    El Rodricks "Alice Goodman" is the prettiest pink i ever have seen and grows all over my garden well here in Mo.
    Its only slight fault is it is so ruffled and toothed edged that it sometime has trouble opening a petal now and then but over all it is a Dykes metal contender to me.
    Mr Rodrick is way too modest to not have entered this flower in the big contests as it would surely win.It is very underrated and should be a top flower in anyones garden

It was a long time flower clump in our St Louis Shaws Garden not in the iris garden but along a main path thru the garden along with one or 2 other really beautiful Iris.

I just bought 4 other current pink iris after getting away from my garden for a few years and i am excited to see how they stack up to Alice.
    As you can tell i cant say enough about this flower and frankly its hybridizer who is the most kind and modest man i think i have ever met, who has always strived for complete and total perfection in his iris and daylilies before he deems them worthy at all.I could not have a garden without Alice Goodman in it.

• aimeekitty
    11 years ago

Violet Turner, so gorgeous!! Love those purples.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I love Violet Turner! Beautiful colors, Renee. Your arrangement is such a classic look!
    kay

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler