Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

can you ID this peach iris?

gottagarden
12 years ago

I've had this since 2000. I appreciate any help. Now that winter is coming I'm going through my photos.

From Plant Trades
From Plant Trades

THANKS in advance!

Comments (16)

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Hard to say. We can give you some to look at. I have one that looks like that that is call Ewe'll Due. Pics of some in my Gallery.
    Pink Horizon
    pink Taffeta
    Guradian Angel~in my gallery

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks aquawise for your reply.

This iris is more orangey than pinkish, but not dark orange. So it doesn't really seem the same colors as pink horizon or pink taffeta. (although I do have a tag for pink horizon that I bought at one time. Isn't pink horizon supposed to be PINK?)

It does seem the same colors as guardian angel, but that one has much fuller ruffles than mine.

thanks for the suggestions.

• aquawise
    12 years ago

The pink vary in shades just like the blue ones. I thought it looked very much the Pink Taffeta myself. Glad I could be of some help!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Gottagarden, how tall is it? Do you remember if it has double socketed buds (looks like it does) or how many flowers it gets per stalk? And when does it bloom?

This one is another tough one, since there are so many similar irises in this color and shape range. Did you get it as a trade, or did you purchase it>

Renee

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Double socketed buds" - great! I learned something new in how to describe iris.

Yes, it does have double socketed buds. It tends to be on the short side - perhaps 30". Can't remember exactly how floriferous it is.

I bought it way back when at the Maryott iris gardens in CA (before they sold the place). I picked it out of hundreds of iris because it was such a distinctive color. When I was new to gardening I didn't save labels and tags, what was I thinking??

Thanks for all your help.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You know, you could probably email Bill Maryott with a photo of the iris and when you bought it- I'll bet he could give you the name. I LOVE Maryott irises. I wish they had not stopped hybridizing them, but I think there's a better market in daylilies. I have his "Spin Off" and it's a beauty and a great performer. His last iris was "That's All Folks"- a wonderful name.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Maryott's Daylilies

• aquawise
    12 years ago

Procession is another one of that color.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is very much like procession, except that one seems to be a bit more ruffly than mine. Online search suggests that procession was registered in 2006, and I've had mine since 1999 or before.

The first time I ever went to the Maryott field gardens I thought I was in heaven! Row after row of the most gorgeous fragrant iris in a kaleidoscope of colors. Truly fabulous afternoon spent there.

Spin off is a gorgeous iris!

thanks!

• aquawise
    12 years ago

I have looked for a list of his Iris but cannot fins a thing... Would love to see the ones bill hybridized. Anyone got an idea of where to find this?

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

FYI - The Maryott field gardens grew hundreds of different iris, not just the ones he hybridized. So this peach isn't necessarily (and probably isn't) one that was his own introduction.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Aquawise, here's a catalog that lets you search by hybridizer. You can also search the Iris Encyclopedia.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris by Hybridizer

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Here you go, Aquawise- irises by Maryott.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Encyclopedia- Maryott search

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Neither Pink Horizon(is very old with very droopy falls) nor Pink Taffeta(it it pink). There was 'million' of irises in this colour at that time. Even experts could not tell them apart when mixed. Your iris would be definitely described under pink. It has distincly red beard, which should reduce your search by half.

• HU-767665539
    2 years ago

I don't know if you still have this iris. I've been looking for this iris since my Moms were destroyed, 6 years ago. Is there any way I can buy one from you

• c.j. walton
    2 years ago

Also looking for I.D. 🤷‍♀️

• Jules
    last year

Looks very similar to 'Magical Encounter' to me: https://www.schreinersgardens.com/magical-encounter

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville