Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended Iris for 2013 Crossings

Posted by jmcbackyarddigger z6b So IL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 15:39

I've had fun hybridizing iris in the past, but I got out of the habit these past 4-5 years. I'm ready to hop back in.

I had great success with Schreiner's "Silverado", but I notice from the awards lists that Keppel seems to be outdoing Schreiner.

What current iris would you recommend as parents for hybridizing in the 2010's?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended Iris for 2013 Crossings

I think that Wild Jasmine is a very popular parent, as is Ring Around Rosie. Most hybridizers are working for very fat falls that overlap and arched standards that don't fall open, with lots of ruffles and novel colors. I would purchase new intros to use- pick a color scheme to go after, or some other goal, like a reblooming red, and cross away! Good luck- it sounds like fun.
Renee

o

Do you mean a 2010 intro for using as a parent?

Final Episode (Blyth'01) was recommended on another forum as a good parent.

Keppel really is hitting the jackpot these years. My favorite hybridizer was Ben Hager. His advice was breed pretty to pretty.

o

please send me an e-mail, I too am from Illinois looking for someone close to my area for help with learning how to hybrize iris as a hobby, need encouragement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here