Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Romeo for the Holidays

Posted by eukofios 8 Maritime NW (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 20:04

Here is Romeo, produced by Millet et Fils in 1912. I bought it mail order this summer. Having run out of room, I planted it in a container. A few weeks ago the raised bed was ready to plant, but this one had a flower shoot. So I placed it in a cool room, sunny window. Here it is today.

It doesn't look a lot like photos of Romeo. Maybe it's the odd timing, or the odd situation, or the growth medium. It's in a used potting soil. Maybe it's mislabeled. I like it better than than the linked site. The colors have a sepia tone, like an old Kodachrome photo.

I don't know if winter blooming can be done intentionally. This was unplanned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Romeo for the Holidays

Hmmm, that doesn't look at all like Romeo- I'll bet it's a reblooming tall bearded iris that was mislabeled. I bought some this year that have already bloomed too- Desert Legacy by Margie Valenzuela, but it is listed as a reblooming iris. I don't think it's possible to get an iris without the gene for fall bloom to bloom in fall.
Renee

o

It probably won't bloom next Spring, having used the one mother rhizome for bloom now. The new growths are tiny. So I guess it will be 2014 before I see what it looks like in the garden under proper conditions! Long way away! Meanwhile I'm happy to have a unique holiday flower for the table!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Iris Society: Romeo

o

It looks like 'Romero' at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://growinggreener.blogspot.com/2012/08/some-more-new-iris-varieties.html

o
RE: CandT iris patch

Should mention C and T Iris Patch in 2008 had more mis-identified pictures of iris than any other seller online.

Don't know if they've corrected the mistaken names/pictures. Heads up.

o

Thanks, that sheds some light on the matter. C&T does list that one as Romeo even though their pic is labeled Romero. I googled on Iris Romero and could not come up with any irises but there was an interesting mug shot of someone by that name.

I actually like it better than the photos of Romeo. I guess I should call it "Uncertain ID"

Here is a link that might be useful: C & T Iris: Romeo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here