Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bearded Irises now Lower in Ground

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 22:06

I'm pretty new to bearded irises and bulbs in general. Last year I planted several bearded irises and took care to keep the bulb mostly above ground. A couple of them never bloomed but they appear to be alive - maybe next year.

I recently looked at them and realized that the bulbs are now mostly or all underground. Its late in the year here in MA and the ground will probably soon be freezing, though right now it's in the 40's and 50's.

Should I do anything now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bearded Irises now Lower in Ground

Because it's so late in the year, I'm thinking you'd best wait. (Patience can be a gardener's best asset, and it's always in short supply.) If you lift the rhizomes now, there's not going to be enough time for them to develop a root structure before winter sets in in earnest. That said, if you lift them when they break dormancy, you risk losing the next bloom cycle. Perhaps the best alternative is to wait until they have bloomed in the spring, then raise them onto a new mound.

Kay

o

Don't worry about them. A number of growers now plant their rhizomes with a bit of soil over the top.

o

Thanks for the info. The other day I looked closer at them. It looked like their rhizomes (now I know the proper word) were all about 1/2" to 1" under soil. In the spring they were all above ground.

I didn't lift them but I did take some of the soil off the rhizomes. Hopefully that will make them happier this winter. I was surprised at how much lower in the ground they all were.

o

Its perfectly fine to have a thin layer of dirt over the rhizomes but if in doubt take a hose and spray the dirt around the rhizomes away.

That way you don't disturb the roots. When planting a new plant I don't worry about it if they are a bit under the dirt because the roots will gradually push the rhizomes up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here