Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bearded iris in Tropical climate

Posted by Simonandmae (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 22:56

Hi

Im new to this forum. Can bearded iris grow in tropical country like Philippines?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bearded iris in Tropical climate

Probably not. Bearded irises rot in tropical climates. If you wanted to try, you would probably have to grow them in pots where you can regulate the water and drainage. It might still be too humid.
Renee

o

Try Louisiana Iris. There are sources in Australia.

o

The closest I get to being able to grow an iris in the tropics is the 'Louisiana Iris' that was mentioned in the posting above this one. It is called 'Neomarica Coerulea Regina'...it is a fairly big light blue iris. I live in south Florida, and it is the tropics here.
It is a big plant, and its flowers are fairly big. The beard is not to big on it, but you can find pictures of it online, to see if you would like to grow it.
The only other iris' that grow in tropical climates are the 'Walking Iris', which you can also find online. It loves the humidity and heat, its flowers are small,but are plentiful and each spring I have hundreds of blooms on mine. They come in yellow, and white with blue and tiny 'beards' on them. The Walking Iris spread very fast, and are only about a foot or so tall....the 'Regina' Iris is over 3 feet tall,and it blooms repeated on the same stem for well over a few months.
Hope that helps you some. These cant be grown in the northern regions, they are for the tropics. So the northern people cant grow and enjoy them. But we cant grow and enjoy their big bearded Iris'.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 20:50

I have a friend who move B. iris from Tenn. to FL. & they grew. They got 40" tall, but did not bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here