Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefromsd

Azumaya

joefromsd
19 years ago

I'd like to share with you a azumaya that I designed and built at the end of last year.

It's for a Tai-chi master (a San Diego Police officer) who wanted to be able to teach in his backyard. It gets pretty hot in the Summer here in the inland San Diego area, so he asked me to design him an outdoor Tai-chi dojo area with a nice shade structure.

I had been just been researching azumayas, and the Dutch hip roof structure .. funny how things seem to just fall into place sometimes hey ?

The structure is fabricated from rough-sawn, full dimensioned California redwood. For instance, the posts are 5.75" x 5.75", and all the rafters are 3.75" x 5.75". The curved ridge beam is made from a 4x6 and 4x8 glued and lagged together. The shade material is rolls of copper-tied bamboo cane.

Anyway, it's a beautiful space now, with a wonderful sense of harmony, and the Sensei says there's plenty of chi flowing.

When you get to the Album, click on Show All at the top of the yellow album box so you can see all 18 images, then, when you open up each pic, look bottom right and click View>Original Size, to enlarge it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azumaya