Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
didgeridoo

Yotsume gaki (Four eyed fence)

didgeridoo
19 years ago

Well I finally put to use some of the wonderful information that I learned at Mike Yamakami's bamboo fence workshop, and I built a yotsume gaki in my garden from hachiku (Henon bamboo) harvested last winter. It is one thing to participate in a workshop under expert guidance, and quite a different thing to try to duplicate what you learned completely on your own. I ran into a few minor snags, snafus, and setbacks, but I am pretty happy with the overall result. For its relative simplicity, I was suprised how labor intensive this little fence is, but I think that the design adds lot of character to the garden.

-christian m.

(ran out of twine when the photos were taken, but it is completed now)

{{gwi:1005890}}

{{gwi:1005891}}

{{gwi:1005892}}

Comments (8)

• Herb
    19 years ago

I like what you've done.

It's made me look at my small bits of bamboo sleeve (now 5 years old) and realize that they'll soon need to be replaced....

• didgeridoo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Herb,

I guess the sleve type of fence serves the purpose of creating a barrier, while the Yotsume-gake more loosely defines an area. Now that you bring this to my attention, I realize that a solid fence probably would have been a more appropriate solution for the space (to conceal the neighbors) until the camellias and hemlocks grow up and create a visual screen.

Isao Yoshikawa has a great book called "Building Bamboo Fences" which has many illustrations and instructions for building different types of bamboo fences, my favorites among the solid screens are the Katsura-gaki and the Misu-gaki. Is your bamboo sleeve a Sode-gaki? Did you purchase it or build it yourself? Ive seen one at a sushi bar, and they look like a nightmare to build from scratch. Mike Yamakami mentioned to me that it is much more economical to buy these types of fences than to construct them. Id love to see a picture when you make the replacement.

-christian

Katsura-gaki

Misu-gaki

• Herb
    19 years ago

Christian - I'm afraid that when I built them I paid no attention at all to following any particular style, or to authentic construction techniques - and after reviewing the names I realise I shouldn't have referred to them as 'sleeve' fences. They just demarcate the separation of one part of the garden from another. I'm posting a picture that shows one of them.

What I really want to get my hands on are some lengths of plastic imitation bamboo that won't deteriorate with the weather.

Click to see the picture

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Christian, you learned your lessons well. The fence is a work of art.

Cheers Jando

• didgeridoo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Very nice and simple fence, Herb. It may not necessarily be 'authentic', but i think it has the right 'feel' and does a good job of defining the space in a subtle manner. I think the artificial bamboo would not satisfy the sensory experience, as the details of the garden are very important to me.

Thank you Jando, you know that I had a great teacher. I am looking forward to meeting you in person at the Symposuim.

-christian

• Cady
    19 years ago

It looks wonderful, Christian. :)
    Has Yama-san seen the photographs?

• didgeridoo
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Cady. Yes, he said that i did a pretty good job for a first timer ;) Of course, the more i look at it, the more mistakes i see, but that is all part of the learning curve. As challenging as the project was, there is certain satisfaction that comes from building something solely from natural materials.

-christian

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Outstanding work! I made the yotsume-gaki myself at my tsukubai, and this is much better I think! I had problems finding the correct bamboo for the job, yours is perfect! And i spent 2 evenings just to tie my small fence, that knot is quite laboursome!!

and i like your site a lot!

/Henrik

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County