Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantfreak

Shikaumi Jinja

plantfreak
18 years ago

Yesterday I visited a shrine on an island directly off the coast of Fukuoka City, Kyushu. The island is Shikanoshima, and the shrine is named after it, Shikaumi Jinja. I thought you all might enjoy some pictures of this place.

HereÂs the main shrine structure. Although not a very large shrine, it is very airy inside, free of clutter. Another different aspect of this shrine is the use of sand in the purification process in preparation to pray. There is a small tray of sand in front of the man in the picture. You have to throw it over both shoulders, starting on the left before you do a double clap of the hands (kashiwade):

{{gwi:1005921}}

HereÂs a shot looking up into the surrounding forest. There are several outer buildings (haiden?) housing other gods. HereÂs one:

{{gwi:1005923}}

Some of you may know that the Fukuoka area was hit with a strong earthquake in February (measuring 7.0 ). The epicenter was in shallow water off the coast very near this place, so damage to the islandÂs structures was intense. HereÂs a veiw of the huge stone lanterns at the entrance to the shrine. One made it through OK, the other fell:

{{gwi:1005924}}

And yet another structure that was broken, a gorintou. On the right is a figure of it before it was destroyed:

{{gwi:1005926}}

Finally a shot of the sea itself. It was a holiday yesterday in Japan, Umi no Hi (Sea Day), and everybody was out enjoying the warm summer water:

{{gwi:1005928}}

A road follows the perimeter of the island and the northern and eastern section was closed due to landslides. Shikaumi Jinja is badly damaged from the quake, and I suspect it will take some time to bring things back into place. YesterdayÂs trip reminded me that we humans are not in control of this world. It is by the graces of the powers that be (maybe those gods in the temple houses!) that we are allowed to live in this world. Enjoy the shots. PF

Comments (3)