Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coachsmyth

Herb (or others) I Need pictures of entrance gate

coachsmyth
19 years ago

Herb (or anyone else)- I was wondering if in your collection of pictures you might have one of 1 or 2 designs of main entrance gates? I have finished my fence (pictures posted later) and am looking for some inspiration. Since I have ruled out a nice big red Torii (lets not start that again) I was looking for something a bit more subdued.

Thanks in advance

Comments (25)

• Herb
    19 years ago

Steve - I have a few - they range from fairly modest entrance gates to quite imposing ones. I'll e-mail some to you. Meantime, here's one of the main entrance gate the the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific Japanese Garden.

There's a plaque attached to it somewhere that has the name of the manufacturer of the roof tiles. If anybody's interested, I'll write the roof tile manufacturer's name down the next time I visit the garden.

Click here to see the HCP Japanese Garden main entrance gate

• Gardener_KS
    19 years ago

Yes, Herb....it would be nice to know the roof tile manufacturer's name. Nice shot. Gotta get to that garden!

• Kelvin_H
    19 years ago

Steve - If you are looking for designs for entrance gates you won't find a better place to look than one of the companys listed in the Garden Webs own Garden Bazzar.
    Company Name is "Woods Shop Creative Builders".

Do a Garden Bazzar search - keyword: Woods, Product Line: Landscape Design. Take the "Japanese" link on the main page and then scroll down to Roofed Entryways. The designs are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woods Shop Cr Builders - Japanese

• coachsmyth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dang.... their web site seems to have disappeared. I tried your link as well as the long way. When was the last time you visited it?
    SS

• Herb
    19 years ago

The link worked fine for me. Maybe it was a temporary interruption of some sort? The prices rather took my breath away though!!!

• Kelvin_H
    19 years ago

Steve - the link works for me.

Herb - yes, the prices took my breath away too, but a great place to look for ideas.

• coachsmyth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Okay- It works now....Great inspiration but holy cow..Those are some pretty spectacular prices. Nice stuff tho!
    Thanks Kelvin

• joefromsd
    19 years ago

Hi folks !

Geeze, Spike's going to kill me now .. having my website posted here !

I'm pretty amazed about my prices too. Matter of fact I just re-anaylized them the other day, and couldn't bring them down any more. Can't change my material prices, can't change my Labor rates (lowest paid person gets $23/hr) and can't change my Workers Comp and Liability Insurance rates, which are the highest in the Country ! I have a pretty conservative markup on everything too.

Can't change the amount of time we spend on each project either !

I hope Spike doesn't ban me now ! I don't post my site here, or even refer to it. I hope because someone else posted it it'll be OK this time.

• coachsmyth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hopefully you don't think we were disparaging your product!
    The product looks fabulous! Dont worry about us ( well me, anyways) cheapo do it yourselfers wringing our hands over prices. Im sure its worth it to people who can afford it. In my other life I sell a brand of trucks which cost much more than most other brands and price is something we dont compromise on. If the product is good, it will bear the weight!

• Kelvin_H
    19 years ago

Joefromsd - I'll 2nd what Steve says. Hope you didn't think we were putting your product down. I'm a hobby wooodworker and I know how quickly things add up - especialy when you factor in lobor costs.

I built some hand-made low voltage lights out of cedar this year. We were kidding around on how much I would have to charge for a light after factoring in how long it took me to make them -- probably $150. Good thing I never plan to do this for a living !

Kelvin

• joefromsd
    19 years ago

That's OK ! I didn't take any of it in a bad way. For some reason I had to explain it, more to myself actually !

I put everything into a spreadsheet, and the price is what it is. Actually, I should charge more ! These Japanese projects and structures are what I truely love to build !

This has been my life's story, designing things most people can't even afford !

Kelvin, way back I tried marketing a line of garden structures .. a unique 3-tiered set of large trough planters, some plant stands, and a garden bench.

I couldn't even sell the bench for the materials I had in it alone !

Thanks for your comments ! Hope none of you are in Florida tonite !

• Herb
    19 years ago

The roof tiles on the gate at the Horticultural Centre of the Pacific are called Decrabond & they're made by Rusco.

• rphillips2
    19 years ago

Herb Gerard roofing do the same type of tile http://www.guardianshingle.com

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Steve I thought of your posting and snapped this photo for you at the Seattle Japanese Garden. The posts extending from the gate I thought were interesting. I also liked the top of the roof.

Cheers Jando

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1006003}}

• joefromsd
    19 years ago

Darn! I get a This Page cannot be Displayed Jando !

• gregoryjohn
    19 years ago

Here is the corrected link to Jando's photo

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1006005}}

• coachsmyth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks! that is one awesome gate. I think Ill pirate a few ideas from this one when it comes time to close the gap in mine. I especially like the grated over panels in the top.

Thanks for the inspiration...

Steve

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Thanks Greg you deserve a "halo" And I thought you might like the gate Steve. Glad I could help, when I say this gate I new I had to snap a photo and post it for you. Thanks to Greg you can acutally see it!

Cheers Jando

• bonsaikc
    18 years ago

Thanks for the photos, I lurk here occasionally (you will find me postingand need a garden gate to A) keep the dogs on the garden side, not in front of the house, B) created a visual barrier for the dogs and to protect the bonsai, C) allow us to see over into the garden from the front of the house, and D) provide actual security against bonsai theft. However, space is limited to about eight feet, including the gate and any fence surrounding it.

Does anyone have photos of smaller gates perhaps without roofs? I've been searching my books and the web, and the stuff on this thread is about the best I have seen! Thanks for a great, informative thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashi-eda Bonsai

• gerald
    18 years ago

Here's a gate we installed a few years ago in Vancouver.
    Gerald

Here is a link that might be useful: front garden with gate

• Herb
    18 years ago

Chris,

There used to be a Sunset book called How to build Fences and Gates that was quite useful & another Sunset book called Sunset Ideas for Japanese Gardens that has a few sketches of Japanese-style gates. I don't know if they're still published - the ones I just looked at are dated 1973.

Herb

• bonsaikc
    18 years ago

Thanks Herb. Gerald, that's quite a construction! I love the concrete work (I was once a cement mason), the whole job is fantastic!

Chris

• Jando_1
    18 years ago

Hi Gerald, I enjoyed viewing your work. The transplanting of the wonderful maple through photographs was really neat. Thanks. And you are a true artist with landscape.

Cheers Jando

• gerald
    18 years ago

Chris, the front slab took several days to form ( the back about an hour) and just a few hours to pour, color and press.
    We eliminated two steps in the original path.
    The rain chain, rock basin and hole (piped to sump) in the slab solve a defect in the roof design (No place for downspout).
    It took a lot of trust by the client to allow me to turn their front yard into a private space, they love it now.
    Jando, the maple continues to flourish, thanks.
    Gerald

• Herb
    18 years ago

Here's another gate picture that I found today -

Click here

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting