Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Making a Mountain Lantern?

Herb
18 years ago

If you are, I wonder if something like this one, in the Nitobe Memorial Garden appeals to you? I think the roof looks a bit precarious, balanced on such a small light box, but the lantern's been there for many years without mishap. I assume the parts are cemented together.

Image link:

Comments (5)

• edzard
    18 years ago

Herb,..
    often I wonder about information presented, in which only a portion is shared, perhaps only that which is 'deemed' pertinent, however this leaves a false impression of what the item is.
    ie: this starts the misinformation trail, someone copies the photo, calls it mountain lantern, and forevermore as the raven quothe, it will be around the world as a 'mountain lantern'.

This is Nitobe's family symbol lantern, sun and moon, rather than a 'mountain' lantern. Yes it is a rustic lantern, however, not in the class of mountain lanterns as the column is also finished, rather than being a natural stone.

--however, also, it is a good suggestion for the umbrella for a 'rustic' 'mountain' lantern, to which often the lightbox is made of wood - refering to another thread on the board. I hope they appreciate you sharing it, as I have.
    edzard

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Edzard -

That's interesting. The column certainly looks finished & to some extent the other parts below the roof also look as if they've had some shaping. As it happens I had another picture that shows them. I was going to delete it, but luckily I read your post first (and have described the picture in the way you indicated).

Click to see it

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Edzard -

A picture of a lantern very similar to the Nitobe family symbol lantern (though slightly less rustic, having what appears to be a carved roof) can be seen at the site mentioned in my posting 'Many Pictures of Japan'.
    Is this also a Nitobe family lantern?

Herb

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Edzard -

I misunderstood you. Having read the Fogs material, I see that the lantern is connected to the Nitobe family not by reason of its style, but by reason of inscriptions on it. This is from the Fogs material site -

"Nitobe family crest lantern

This lantern was not in Dr Mori's original design but was added later as a gift from the city of Morioka. The stone is local to Morioka district and it bears the crescent moon and stars of the Nitobe family crest.

Next time I'm in the garden I shall look for the inscriptions & try to photograph them.

• edzard
    18 years ago

Herb,
    hmm, sorry, not by reason of the inscriptions...
    I'll need to back track to the site you mentioned, and hope my 2 copper wires can handle the download. If not and it is your usual links then I can have dinner, nap, design a garden, and still read 9 pages of a latest acquisition of grass weaving patterns...
    1 meg is 20 minutes download minimum... if my mother calls it takes much much longer...

The crest (that word was lost to me originally, wandering from kanban, to kaemon, to Forschung to Wappen, back to jomon, and thinking of snakes went to 'sign'... ) anyway, you got my drift, yet the inscription I believe is merely from where it came, but the crescent moon and sun, are the family crest of the Nitobe, Inazu family. That is the link as mentioned in the FoG writeup..

the rusticity of the piece was chosen for the acceptability to the site, whereas, the small Kasuga far back in the garden is 'apparently' another gift, yet having no home it just went to where all gifts go, in the back.

i may have the inscription photo, though finding it will be awhile.
    -thanks for double-checking everything...
    edzard

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?