Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Japanese Gardens photos

Posted by DAVISSUE_zone9 z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 0:05

On my recent vacation to Texas, I made it a point to stop and visit that state's notable Japanese Gardens. Here's a few pictures:

Fort Worth Botanical Garden's Japanese Garden- this was very large, well maintained and very beautiful. Almost every picture I took came out well, there didn't seem to be any angle that there wasn't a pretty vista.

Zilker Park Botanical Garden's Japanese Garden in Austin. This was an interesting garden that used the local limestone as a building material.

This was a very small, well maintained Japanese Garden run by the San Antonio Botanical Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Japanese Gardens photos

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:58

Sue - Those are very interesting pictures. I like what I see in the two San Antonio Botanical Garden views,.

I also like the general layout I see in the middle picture of the Fort Worth garden, but I don't much like the lantern. I think I'd prefer the lantern to stand somewhere less prominent - more discreet if you will. I don't like the rock nearest to the camera either. Maybe it's just the particular perspective, the rock looks as if it's just lying on the surface, ready to roll over and crush the shrub next to it.

I have mixed feelings about the gateway in the third Zilker Park picture. Aside from not having seen a gateway quite like it anywhere else (2 lanterns in what I think is the Kakuashimoto style, flanked by two roofed fence panels) something about it makes me uneasy - maybe it's the proportions - I wonder if it would look better if the fence panels were taller and wider?

Herb

o
RE: Texas Japanese Gardens photos

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 14:36

Because I was curious to see what the Fort Worth Garden might look like if it used a different rock in the foreground & if the lantern were moved, I've modified Sue's picture. This is what it might then look like.
Click here to see it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here