Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_turner_gw

What is this design please ?.

Richard_Turner
19 years ago

Hi all, brand new here. I have some lacqure wear from the meiji period and I am curious as to the plant ( vine ) on this design. I have been told Ivy, and I have also been told ginkgo.

It is not the Aoi plant that is part of the Tokugawa mon but the flower/leaf on the vine.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Rich Turner

http://www.image-hosting.net/images/messageboard/retalt/duplicate_6903_Jap_Lacq1.jpg

Comments (3)

• inkognito
    19 years ago

My guess is jasmine. Google on Japanese and Chinese lacquer ware and see if you can find another one like it.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Rich
    It is family emblem/crest of Aizu han/Aizu clan. Aizuhan is one of Tokugawa family and allowed to use Mitusba Aoi.

It is called "Mitusba Aoi" mitsuba= three leave, Aoi = name of Plant. I cannot tell botanical name. It is belong to Malvaceae family. hibiscus, okra are related plant.

There are many Aoi are used among Tokugawa Families and few of royal warriors of Tokugawa family were allow to use the emblem.
    Emblem on soup bowl particulary called " Aizuhanko Aoi"
    Aizuhan is name of clan. "ko" is like sir in English.
    I asume it is used for lord of Aizu clan and it's family.
    Aizu is north of Tokyo faceing pacific ocean , Today's Iwate ken.
    Aoi is not tree or shurb. It can be viney plants or grass plant.
    Aizu han resited to New meiji goverment at end of tokugawa era/ beging of Meiji era. many mothers. wive, sisters, dougthiers killed them self to make it sure that hasband, son, brothers, can fight without warrying thir mother, wife sister, doughtiers. The end of battle many of warrior killed them self instead of being prisoner. young boys 12 to 15 also joined to battle . at the end of battle all boys are also killed themself. after battle, warrior of Kangun /Meiji goverment solders went to Aizu, and burned most of Aizuhan building to ground. Suvivors of Aizu clan did not want to get job from Meiji goverment , so they went to Hokkaido to develope land. Many died in hunger,and could not develope farmland sucesefuly.
    Ginkgo have nothing to do with your soup bowl emblem.

you may able to find "Kamon/ family emblem book from Amazon.com ........ If you cannot find book , let's me to know, I will find it for you.
    Mike Yamakami

• Richard_Turner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

and Mike for your excellent answer. Firstly, I must apologise for the abbreviation of the word Japanese in my picture title. I took the name straight from a sales page and didn't bother renaming it, I did not even see it. I use Japan and Japanese myself all the time and I hope I have not offended anyone. It is a shame we cannot edit the post's once done.

The information on the mon is wonderful and I will put that aside and store it in my catalogue. And thank you inkognito for the Jasmine answer, I will have a look. It is indeed the fine vine line plant around the mon that is interesting me.

Have a great day everyone and thanks again for the answers.

Rich Turner

Sponsored