Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Debris washing into my 'lake'

Posted by stevega 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 9:15

I have a small (2' x 4') lake of crushed limestone in my garden (see picture below). The Japanese inspired garden is intended to be a small replication of a natural area. The problem is that mulch/debris washes into my "lake" during rains. I would like to prevent this to ease maintenance (as you can see, I have failed to clean up the leaves-sorry). I was thinking of lining the "shore" with sonething that would form a lip to catch the debris. I have seen tiles used in this way in Japanese gardening books, but they do not look natural. Perhaps the right size river rock could be used as a surround, or cut/chip native stone to scale and imbed it.
Another thought is to plant small plants all around it like small lilyturf or a varieties of sedum.

I would appreciate ideas. Thank you

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Debris washing into my 'lake'

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 24, 07 at 21:01

Steve
Dig trench behind shurbs guide water along shurbs( behind) and use ground cover such as mondo grass or dwaf mondo grass to filter debris. not use vine of anykind......... yama.

o
RE: Debris washing into my 'lake'

Yama-Thank you for your suggestion. I think it can work. I will need to be careful trenching near the mugo and Kluis pine roots and provide a rock lip to divert runoff from the "mountain". I will have a challenge to identify dwarf, clumping mondo grass so I don't get larger, spreading varieties. The nurseries around here often do not know the difference.
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here