Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Convex mirror

paul3636
17 years ago

I have a small yard 12.5' x 21'.

In order to create a feeling of depth I would like to hang a convex mirror on a fence, the type used in stores to see shop lifters.

Has anyone ever tried this and what was the results?

Paul

Comments (8)

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi paul
    In Japanese garden, eye illusion ,mind illusion are used effctively. To create depth of garden, there are many technic/trick to create depth of garden.
    If you try to use mirror, Please let's us to know. I have not seen to use mirror to create depth yet.
    yama

• bonsai_audge
    17 years ago

Paul, I can't say that I've tried this, but I think that a convex mirror may distort the image too much and may ruin the effect. Perhaps a flat mirror would be better suited?

-Audric

• kobold
    17 years ago

I used flat mirrors in my garden for more than 10 years. My main reason was to cover a big, tall concrete wall between my garden and the neighbors. I plant to put some kind of fence, maybe bamboo to cover it, asked help from this forum and got many good ideas.

But back to the mirror. I used 6 panels, from 3ftx3ft to 6ftx3ft.The mirrors reflects the garden, trees, plants, looks like the garden continuous there. You can use different effects, put it behind some plants, frame it or not. Even if you know it is just mirror, makes a very nice effect, the same as to use it in the house.

I got the mirrors very cheap from a glass recycling place.
    Good luck. Send me your e-mail address, I send you photos, ASAP, I'm leaving town for 6 weeks in 5 days.

Andrea

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't have a concret wall but an eight foot section of a stockade fence to cover or hide. It has a clematis on each side and a half moon gate in the bottom center.I have a small oval bathroom mirrow over the gate now and at 1st glance it looks like a widow to another garden.
    I did try to find a round flat mirror with out success. The 36" convex mirrow was bought for $20.00 from a store that was closing so If it doesn't work It's not much of a loss and hello E-bay.
    Paul

• kobold
    17 years ago

I had plants ( clematis too) in front of the wall, I put the mirrors behind them, looked more natural, all the plant's reflexion in the mirror made a very lush garden. I tilted the mirrors to get the best effect, not to reflect the house or even our self when we walk there.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The mirrow was picked up today and held up to the fence to see how it would look. I think it will work but it's has to get a lot warmer before it is put up.
    The temp was 18 degrees with a windchill of 0 degrees.
    I will check for distortions after it's up.
    Paul

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi Paul
    You couldn't wait. right ? ^^

Andrea, Audric, It is nice to see your name here.^^
    mike

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yama
    A master of the obvious. :>)