Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acj7000

Japanese gardens as sacred places

acj7000
18 years ago

There doesn't seem to be much to be gained from a discussion about the connection between Buddhism and Japanese gardens especially when it always leads to acrimony. In an attempt to find some middle ground perhaps I can suggest that some Japanese gardens can be seen as sacred places, either directly or symbolically. Note that I say "some Japanese gardens" because they are not all the same in appearance nor did they exist at the same time, so, in my opinion we cannot talk as if there is a universal. What we can say, as a universal, is that Japanese gardens are unique, there are similarities in other Asian countries, including China and Korea. Now there are similar gardens in all parts of the world, of course but that is not what I mean, what I mean is the inception or invention of the phenomenon that is instantly recognisable, where did this come from? You cannot compare the park/garden surrounding the home of an English lord of any period in history with that of a Japanese lord of the same period. You cannot find any similarity between the lay out of a French monastery garden with that of a Japanese monastery or temple garden, with the exception perhaps of the vegetable patch. How is this explained?

Comments (5)

• Niwashisan
    18 years ago

Tony,
    I think this is a much more sensible way to address the question. you state that Japanese gardens are on the whole unique, "the inception or invention of the phenomenon that is instantly recognisable, where did this come from ?"
    Surely the only answer is the 'heart' of Japanese culture. Many civilisations were making 'gardens' at that time so the desire to construct open spaces using natural materials was not unique, the Japanese expressed their culture in the same way as the Europeans did but with profoundly different results ?
    Sacred spaces in Japan existed long before the desire to build gardens. Though the shrine at Ise would undoubtedly fit the Japanese definition of niwa it is quite distinct from what are discussed here as Japanese gardens. Shrines were created at places of unique or outstanding natural beauty, again long before what we now call Japanese gardens were developed. So the question, I feel is, did the Japanese start to replicate nature in the form of gardens for the purpose of creating shrines and later temples or was this just a reflection of their cultural taste and 'heart'. Yes the same garden styles were used in the grounds of temples but does this make them a religous statement or a cultural one ? I personally am inclined towards the latter.

The point you raised about comparing western/japanese style of similar historical periods I find of interest. I have found that many Japanese scholars on the subject have taken great interest in the 'English landscape style' of the 19th century because of its representaion of nature. Prof. Makoto Nakamura has written "to explain the difference between the English landscape style and the Chinese or Japanese style, the former is characterised by its realistic representaion of nature while the latter by their symbolic representaions". So throughout the later part of the 19th century, when the wealth and opulence of the English Lord's estates was at its greatest the popular style in England was far removed from what is often seen as English style (though realy French and Italian)- the formal, symmetrical gardens were replaced by vast representaions of the rolling English countryside.
    Just an aside but one I find of interest.

Graham

• acj7000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Graham: I think what you are saying makes sense. In effect what you are saying is that the Japanese held the earth itself as sacred and building a shrine or garden was a cultural expression of that. This is a different perspective on the question and one that deserves further study because it means that religions that came along later served only to categorise pre-existing cultural mores.

• Jando_1
    18 years ago

Hi all, I like this approach too. The last few days I have been doing quite a bit of research. To me it seems the gardens changed depending on who was in power. I really could not find anywhere that religion did not take a part in the formation of such gardens.

Do I believe that religion is behind the designing of the Japanese Garden today. It is possible a few could if the person designing them wanted that intent, but the majority I would say no. Does it mean the gardens designed by those with no religious intent do not have elements in them that originated with religions influence. Again no. Those who know the history will recognize those elements even though the designer had no knowledge of the history or tried to portray any religious intent. His influence was the gardens themselves and trying to emulate the older gardens using elements that others see with religious intent because of the history of these elements. We can never stop change and with time meanings are lost. We are again seeing many changes in the development of modern Japanese Gardens. This to me is neither good or bad, just the passage of time with the making of new history.

Some thing I read today will stick with me. And that is the true essence of a Japanese Garden comes from within the designer. To copy another garden does not celebrate the essence of a Japanese Garden. But to create and feel from within and be true to the land it is created on is what a Japanese garden is all about. These are not the exact words but the meaning is there.

Lastly I found this history of the gardens and it seemed to coincide with much of the reading I did today. I think it shows how the garden evolved as new demands were put on it from cultural changes.

Good post Tony.

Cheers Jando

And yes I agree that as culture changes so does the Japanese Garden.

Cheers Jando

Here is a link that might be useful: history link

• acj7000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

" to create and feel from within and be true to the land it is created on is what a Japanese garden is", I like that Jando because it is open enough to allow of a personal interpretation yet maintains that hint of sacredness that is so hard to pinpoint.

• Jando_1
    18 years ago

Thats what I thought, all that research payed off.

Cheers Jando

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County