Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you recognize these Japanese seeds?

Posted by gooberstraw 5b ONT (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 16:44

Hello everyone,

Last summer, we moved to a house and found these two packets of seeds in a closet. The previous tenants were Japanese and often received seeds from Japan so I'm very curious but I don't read Japanese.

Can anyone recognize these seeds or read Japanese?

Here is seed packet #1, and these are the seeds from packet #1.

This is packet #2 and the seeds from this packet.

I would love to know if these are veggies or flowers or herbs or...

Thanks for any insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you recognize these Japanese seeds?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 18:51

Again ImageShack doesn't show me the goods.

o

Here's the first packet:

The seeds look like this:

The second packet:

Seeds from packet #2:

o

package 1:

'wisteria colored
small flower
balcony pot'

package 2:
twenty (?)
daikon

hope that helps...
Mark.

o

Wow - this sounds wonderful! Thank you so very much Mark for taking the time to translate. I was about to give up and throw away the seeds.

I wonder if the wisteria is a japanese dwarf variety that can be grown in a pot. Something to try this summer. As for the daikon, I can either grow it for pickling or to help break up the heavy soil we have in the garden. Either way, these seeds will not go to waste.

Thanks again, Mark. I really appreciate you going through the trouble.

o

The translation was a bit literal perhaps- sorry-
packet 1 is 'wisteria colored small flowers' -that is to say, they are small purple flowers of unknown description.

still worth planting them out- they apparently liked being on the balcony :)

As for the daikon- daikon sprouts can be pretty tasty...

enjoy.

o

Considering the seeds are 22 years old, I'm hoping that some will germinate, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll try the 'baggie method' to check viability. Both seed packets were kept in a basement closet, so not ideal storage location (though basement is dry most times of the year).

If germination is good, I'll plant some and take a picture when (if?) the plant flowers and post it here (is this the right forum to do so?). Perhaps someone can identify/recognize the plant. And it goes without saying that I'll save some seed and share if folks are interested :)

Never thought you could eat daikon sprouts - do they taste peppery? Let's hope those seeds are also viable...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here