Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me determine my Japanese Maples Age....

Posted by mishael GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 19:21

Hello Forum, I've purchased a good number of maples since early summer of last year and would now like to start documenting their growth. Can you help me determine the age of my maples?

I have in my collection now:
A.p. 'Bloodgood' (I think ?) 42"h x 18"w,
A.p.d. 'Oreangeola' 36"h x 36"w (weeping),
A.p.d. 'Seiryu' 60"h x 18"w,
A.p. 'Orange Dream' 24" h x 12"w,
A.p 'Sango Kaku' 60"h x 24"w,
Variegated AtroPurpureum 60"h x 48" w, and
Aureum Golden Full Moon 12"h x 8"w (potted).

I did have a Koto No Ito that I purchased on Ebay from a seller out of Washington state but the Koto portion died and another j. maple bagan growing from the base of the trunk. I didn't disown it but I'll have to figure out what it is once the leaves grow in during the spring. Why did that happen?

Thanks
Mishael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me determine my Japanese Maples Age....

The only direct experience I have with Japanese maples from seed is Bloodgood. I have one that is 5 years old and is 40" tall and 16" wide. It was transplanted once in its young life. This probably put it a year behind.

o

Any arborist will tell you; you can't tell age by size, and I don't think I see any sizes that would stand up to a core sample...

The graft didn't take on that Koto-no-Ito; if you leave understock to grow it often neglects the scion...

S

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 23, 07 at 20:42

I agree to Scott 100%
How fist tree grow is depend on how trees are maintained.
in pot,or ground ? how offten feed J maple and what kind of fertilizer. what is growing condition ? type of soil, irrigated or not. Many fact/ condition affect to growth of J maple or any other trees /plants.

Last year in spring, I tested to grow willow trees in 1 gal pot less 24inch tall. I fed willow trees heavely and size up pot to 5 gal and 7 gal. Less than 60 days , most willow tree reached over 5 feet, some are reached to 6 feet and over.
You have to live with mistery ^^. ............yama

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here