Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevega_gw

Japanese tripod ladder

stevega
16 years ago

Two of us attended a ladder making session with Yama a few weeks back. It was interesting and informative. The pictures below are the results. I made the 10' ladder from a 2" thick red oak plank instead of finding straight hickory saplings of the propoer size and dried condition. Yama actually suggested the oak alternative. The cost of wood and hardware was about $100.

Pictures below show the result.

Thanks Mike and I hope you are in Boston and happy.

Steve

Comments (9)

• gardesignr
    16 years ago

Nice job,
    Steve .... I am still collecting materials for mine!!

• gardesignr
    16 years ago

Hi, again, Steve

As you may remember, I am the other guy who worked with you and Yama in the construction of his tripod ladder. Did you make any more detailed photos of your ladder-making project? I am asking because it was my intention to document the construction process and then write an article for myjapanesegarden.org. I had thought that I would be getting together with Yama again to finish his. However, he has finished his by himself and I have only 3 or 4 photos to show for it! Perhaps you and I could colloborate on an article together? If you would, please send me your email address .... mine is benjammine@yahoo.com. Thanks!

• loess_roots
    15 years ago

I'm interested in constructing a wooden tripod orchard ladder, and it sounds like you guys learned from the best.

Apparently the finished photos were attached to this forum topic, but I can't seem to get them displayed. Do you have any tips on how I can get started on this project? I do have access to a table saw and oak lumber. Photos would be helpful. Also, access to the magazine article if it was published. Let me know, thanks.

Rod A.

• aethetic_pruner
    15 years ago

What is the material used to join the two halves with the u-bolts? Looks like doubled up canvas.

• stevega
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The material in question is actually doubled up nylon sling material. This gives the proper amount of flex and strength to align, position and hold the third leg in sloped situations.

I will try to put together info in the next month or two that will allow one to build a similar ladder. Gardesignr and I were going to collaborate to get this done but we never got it done. Anyone interested, please post the questions that you would like answered and I'll be sure to address them. The more questions, the sooner I will get myself in gear to complete the instructions.

• yama
    15 years ago

Hi
    On second photo , muffler clamp is used. not U bolt.pepboys or auto zone sell those muffler clamp. I can't remember which, one of auto parts store sell 3/8 inch diamerter U bolt . other store sell 1/4 inch diameter bolt. I prefare to use 3/8 inch U-bolt. and it was cher than 1/4" u boult muffler clamp. sizes of muffler clamp are 1-7/8, 2", 2/1/4" 2-1/2" 2-5/8" 2-7/8". I think that Steve's ladder is using 2" or 2-1/4 inch. You need two of same size muffler clamps. When I make ladder, I buy different size of muffler clamps, and keep right size clamps, then I return larger or smaller size cramps to the store. When I plan to make few ladders, I keep it. muffler clamp is only $2.00 or so.
    Bolts are grade 5 or 8 of 1/4 inch. lenght of bolts are depend on thickness of wood. I don't use Galvanized bolt and nut.

RodA and pruner.
    If you have more question(s), Plese post again.Take look photos closly.

Steve and Ben
    Can you post your photo to myjapanesegarden.org ?
    Please communicate with Don,administrater of the website.
    Do you still have my e mail address ? If you do, Please contact me. Let's get togather.

I don't like to write detail on garden web. Even I am author of article, once posted on gardenweb, article become property of gardenweb, and I don't get any credit of my own article. I would like to help to those who need the information.
    yama

• stevega
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have taken additional pictures and will prepare instructions. I will try to post to myjapanesegarden.org as yama requests. Please post any questions that you would like answered.

• yama
    15 years ago

Hi Steve
    Thanks. How are you? Do you have other wood workingproject(s)?
    We had 10 inch of snow 10 days or so ago. To look snow, it is beautifull but messy.

Let's work togather to help others. I am sure that Ben like to finish his trypod ladder too.
    I am going to make improved trypod ladder, light, and easy to find material, easy to make it.
    After I have used alluminum orchard ladder, tripod ladder, Found out that our tripod ladder works far better than factry made tripod ladder.
    Happy New Year to you. yama

• stevega
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The instructions and design considerations for building a Japanese tripod ladder have been posted in myjapanesegarden.org in the reference/tools section for those who are interested.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio