Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandiplants_gw

hiroshi makita

sandiplants
17 years ago

I am not sure if anyone reads this post....but had to have my say after reading all the above postings. Some people make gardens and some people judge and write about them. I worked with mr mikita long agao when he was at swiss pines. He was a humble man with amazing talents with plants and rocks. He taught the then 19 year old girl so much and was patient and kind. I am sorry if his pr person makes him come off as something he isnt. Anyone wanting to learn about japanese gardens would do well to talk to him. He is an amazing gardener and a gentlemen

Comments (12)

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi sandiplant.
    I thought he passedaway 10 years or more years ago. Maybe different Makita san. Mr makita Did or do live in metro Atlanta area ?
    yama

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi sandiplant
    I am sorry. Mr makita is live and well.
    Mrs Makita passed away 8 years ago. I have met Mr Okochi today and he said Mr Makita is about 82 years old, he catched cold. You might want to call him and say hello.
    yama

• lawmanumpd
    17 years ago

Sandiplants, I first met Hiroshi at Swiss Pines many years ago. He would occassionally stop in to see me at my work. I may have met you at the intersection of Croton Rd and King of Prussia Rd. many years ago. He was driving a BMW at the time.It may have been your car.Ring a Bell? By the way, do the rocks/stones talk to you? I would like to contact Hiroshi,if that is possible.I hope he is in good health.If you have contact with him,please tell him of this message.Contact me at johnd44210@aol.com. Thank you.Jack

• numbersix007
    15 years ago

Greetings Erich,

Just re-posting here from the main discussion thread ...

I had the honor to work for Hiroshi for a couple of years
    back in his Swiss Pines days. As with any artist, he felt
    that the people who commissioned his work did not truly
    appreciate the meaning behind his work. He taught me
    alot, not about Japanese gardening per se, but more about
    integrity and determination. Hiroshi's kind of lesson can
    only be taught by weeding moss gardens :). I hope he is
    doing well, and I wish him all the best.

I like that he's moving toward environmental art, kind of
    a Hiroshi Makita meets Andy Goldsworthy fusion thing! I
    don't know the Oklahoma City area, but I hope Hiroshi likes
    it out there. He's not in Pennsylvania anymore! :)

• totstoteenstennis_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Please hang on with me- I've never blogged!

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm taking a trip down memory lane...

Thirty or so years ago while I was growing up (I'm 39) Mr. Makita (as I always knew him) worked extensively for years at my next door neighbor's home. As it happened, my father is a landscape architect, and they forged a nice relationship- working together to compliment the gardens and views for all to enjoy and reflect. They worked with the natural terrain and woods highlighting the natural beauty. For years, I would look out my bedroom window and in my back yard, (weeding) and watch Makita lovingly move each individual stone, each plant...for years... day after day... on and on.

I completely respect him as well as his work. I remember him as a very sincere, soft spoken and modest person- not at all like many of you projected. To those who have negatively commented on his work, I strongly suggest that you visit it in person. His gardens remain beautiful & peaceful.- and having been in Japan- at least the one next door is traditionally Japanese. (no bright colors, etc)

Life comes full circle, and then the cirle closes. I am now working with my father to put a small Japanse garden in the front of my modest home (outside philly). In discussing design and plans- we both refrenced Mr. Makita as inspiration. The house where he designed the gardens' owners have died, and new owners have just moved in. Dad felt obligated to go and educate the new owners about their gardens and their creator and his reflections and reasons. In doing so, we realized that his work for years next door was lifelong gift to us! I would love to reach out to him if anyone knows anything about his current whereabouts-
    Regards-

• Victoria Ting
    8 years ago

With deepest sympathy, I have found out today Hiroshi Makita passed away last year from our mutual Japanese friend. We have the privilege of getting acquaintance with him these few years. But kind of loss contact after he move away to some kind of government housing assistance. I would like to find out more information about him, especially in his last days.

• mehlsteven
    8 years ago

Hi Victoria,

For some reason something about Swiss Pines has gripped me over the past couple of days and I have spent nearly ten hours researching this place and those who have contributed to its creation. I am sorry to hear about Hiroshi Makita's passing. Sadly, Swiss Pines, where he toiled and created for nearly a decade has fallen upon hard times. I feel like his spirit and the spirit of the late Arnold Bartschi would like to see the rebirth of this once serene and inspiring sanctuary.

I can be reached at mehlsteven@gmail.com or 201-486-8283 (text). I would like to come up with a history of this sanctuary and its contributors (perhaps short documentary and/or book. I would also like to aid in its resurrection even though the way is not yet clear.

• Anne Winn
    7 years ago

Hello Victoria Ting

I am saddened to just now hear of Hiroshi's passing. I would like to find out all I can about the circumstances and where is was when he died. I worked with Hiroshi on a private garden at my home in Pennsylvania and when I gave up the place in 2005, put up a website to find a garden project for him to work on. As a result he moved to Oklahoma City. My farm manager was in touch with him perhaps a year ago or a little more. I learned so much about pruning and rock placement from Hiroshi, and about the philosophy behind Japanese Garden design. I miss knowing that he is busy moving rocks somewhere. But if it was his time, then he has moved on to even greater gardens. I now live in the Caribbean and am doing a different sort of gardening. But you could contact me via email at winnanne@gmail.com. My phone # here is 1-767-265-0834. I hope you see this message after a year has past. Or if anyone else on this thread has any information please pass it on to me. Thank you.

• Elizabeth Andersen
    4 years ago

I would love to talk with anyone who was familiar with Swiss Pines. I'd also appreciate any old photographs or videos. You can email me at broadwaterfarm@gmail.com

• Cindy Combs
    2 years ago

Thank you for your post. I feel fortunate to have known Hiroshi, and to have seen/experienced several of his landscape creations. Very interesting fellow with alot of past experiences of great import. Cindy

• PRO
    Erich DeHaven
    6 months ago

I'm available to have a conversation with those who are interested, regarding Hiroshi Makita. I knew him and work with him starting in 1981. 🖖

Sponsored