Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hiroshi makita

Posted by sandiplants z 7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 11:39

I am not sure if anyone reads this post....but had to have my say after reading all the above postings. Some people make gardens and some people judge and write about them. I worked with mr mikita long agao when he was at swiss pines. He was a humble man with amazing talents with plants and rocks. He taught the then 19 year old girl so much and was patient and kind. I am sorry if his pr person makes him come off as something he isnt. Anyone wanting to learn about japanese gardens would do well to talk to him. He is an amazing gardener and a gentlemen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hiroshi makita

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 1, 07 at 21:16

Hi sandiplant.
I thought he passedaway 10 years or more years ago. Maybe different Makita san. Mr makita Did or do live in metro Atlanta area ?
yama

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 12, 07 at 22:02

Hi sandiplant
I am sorry. Mr makita is live and well.
Mrs Makita passed away 8 years ago. I have met Mr Okochi today and he said Mr Makita is about 82 years old, he catched cold. You might want to call him and say hello.
yama

o

Sandiplants, I first met Hiroshi at Swiss Pines many years ago. He would occassionally stop in to see me at my work. I may have met you at the intersection of Croton Rd and King of Prussia Rd. many years ago. He was driving a BMW at the time.It may have been your car.Ring a Bell? By the way, do the rocks/stones talk to you? I would like to contact Hiroshi,if that is possible.I hope he is in good health.If you have contact with him,please tell him of this message.Contact me at johnd44210@aol.com. Thank you.Jack

o

Hey folks, My name is erich, and I have known and worked with Hiroshi Makita of Swiss Pines, for 28 years. He is alive and well, currently working on a massive japanese garden in Oklahoma City.
Any questions?

o

Greetings Erich,

Just re-posting here from the main discussion thread ...

I had the honor to work for Hiroshi for a couple of years
back in his Swiss Pines days. As with any artist, he felt
that the people who commissioned his work did not truly
appreciate the meaning behind his work. He taught me
alot, not about Japanese gardening per se, but more about
integrity and determination. Hiroshi's kind of lesson can
only be taught by weeding moss gardens :). I hope he is
doing well, and I wish him all the best.

I like that he's moving toward environmental art, kind of
a Hiroshi Makita meets Andy Goldsworthy fusion thing! I
don't know the Oklahoma City area, but I hope Hiroshi likes
it out there. He's not in Pennsylvania anymore! :)

o

Please hang on with me- I've never blogged!

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm taking a trip down memory lane...

Thirty or so years ago while I was growing up (I'm 39) Mr. Makita (as I always knew him) worked extensively for years at my next door neighbor's home. As it happened, my father is a landscape architect, and they forged a nice relationship- working together to compliment the gardens and views for all to enjoy and reflect. They worked with the natural terrain and woods highlighting the natural beauty. For years, I would look out my bedroom window and in my back yard, (weeding) and watch Makita lovingly move each individual stone, each plant...for years... day after day... on and on.

I completely respect him as well as his work. I remember him as a very sincere, soft spoken and modest person- not at all like many of you projected. To those who have negatively commented on his work, I strongly suggest that you visit it in person. His gardens remain beautiful & peaceful.- and having been in Japan- at least the one next door is traditionally Japanese. (no bright colors, etc)

Life comes full circle, and then the cirle closes. I am now working with my father to put a small Japanse garden in the front of my modest home (outside philly). In discussing design and plans- we both refrenced Mr. Makita as inspiration. The house where he designed the gardens' owners have died, and new owners have just moved in. Dad felt obligated to go and educate the new owners about their gardens and their creator and his reflections and reasons. In doing so, we realized that his work for years next door was lifelong gift to us! I would love to reach out to him if anyone knows anything about his current whereabouts-
Regards-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here